California Non-Residential Building Energy Disclosure Program Information

5 Stars

Document Last Modified: 10/5/2018

Document Features


In California, Landlords who own and rent non-residential property will need to follow the “California Non-residential Building Energy Use Disclosure Program." In order to comply an understanding of the policies and procedures of this program are essential.

AB 1103 as it is referred to, requires the owner of commercial real estate or non-residential buildings to enter data regarding energy or utility usage into the “Environmental Protections Agency’s ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager System." There is then an efficiency rating assigned to the property in question. An owner could even receive an ENERGY STAR plaque if the building possesses a score of 75 or higher. This information must be certified by a licensed and professional engineer. This little bill was born in 2007 and has been through many new changes and enactments, the newest taking place in January, 2014.

After January 1, 2014, this bill will affect buildings with over ten thousand (10, 000) square feet of floor space and then changes to apply to building containing over five thousand (5000) square feet of space on July 1, 2014. With this ever-changing status of this bill, landlords must maintain educated. This information form contains information on current statutes but also provides links to websites where information is readily updated.

There is even a pictorial of the events and steps a landlord must take. This makes it easier for the landlord to understand and simplifies the procedure. IT also distinguishes the different occupancy types to be classified and afterwards provides six easy steps to getting in compliance with AB 1103.

Once you complete all of these steps, you can then furnish your tenant with the suitable data and disclosures which are provided by the California Energy Commission.

One last step is to be sure that the proper language is detailed in your Commercial Lease by providing the EZ Landlord Forms disclosure titled “California Energy Disclosure (Non-Residential)."

Why ezLandlordForms?

#1 Rated Lease Agreement

9.3 TrustPilot Rating, with 3,384 Reviews

Flexible Billing

Choose one-time or subscription billing

State Assist

So you know you're complying with state laws

Full Support

Phone, live chat, or email... try us now!

Unlimited Access

Edit & print any of our forms with pro access

Satisfaction Guarantee

Trusted by over 2.3 million landlords & property managers


fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771
We are available 7 days a week to answer your
questions and to receive your feedback

ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.

ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.

Copyright © 2006-2022, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program

Version: 1.1380.0