West Virginia Lease Agreement with ezSign
Pro Form: Create a Pro Account to access this form
Create & download the West Virginia Residential Lease & Rental Agreement printable PDF for Landlords. This state-specific Lease is customizable & includes West Virginia law.
Document Last Modified: 3/28/2023
Uses Lease Builder
Pro Tip: Before signing a Lease Agreement, ALWAYS Screen Tenants.
Tenant Screening is THE BEST way to reduce the risk of bad rental outcomes.
View sample reports or start your Tenant Screening here.
The EZ Way to Create a Great West Virginia Lease Agreement.
Customize your West Virginia Lease entirely online in about 15 minutes. It’s guaranteed to comply with all WV Lease Laws and includes access to electronic signing and electronic storage.
- Over 3 million Leases created since 200
- Rated “excellent” 4.8 from 5,000+ reviews
- Recommended by Shark Tank’s Barbara Corcoran
Rated “excellent” 4.8 from 5,000+ reviews on Trustpilot
Watch Our Videos
Video to Share with Tenants
Table of Contents
- West Virginia Residential Lease Agreement
- Landlord-Tenant Laws
- Required Disclosures
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Other Popular Forms
- West Virginia Rental Forms & Templates
- Other State Lease Agreements
- Create West Virginia Lease Agreement
West Virginia Residential Lease Agreement
West Virginia Landlords need a Lease Agreement that complies with West Virginia Lease laws. Our WV Lease is guaranteed to comply with all West Virginia Lease laws and is EZ to create online in minutes.
Here’s how our process works:
- Follow user-friendly prompts to customize your Lease Agreement entirely online.
- Get State Assist Tips that point out important state laws and requirements.
- All West Virginia-required language is automatically included in your Lease Agreement.
- You can add additional documents - for example, a Pet Addendum, Winter Weather Addendum, or Pool/Hot Tub Policy - to customize your Lease Package.
- You and your Tenant can review and sign the Lease online using our electronic signing tool, ezSign.
- Your signed Lease is automatically stored securely on the cloud with our ezCloudStorage.
EZ as that!
Our West Virginia Lease Agreement is guaranteed to comply with all WV Lease laws. Even so, we know Pro Landlords need to be familiar with state Lease laws when managing their rental units.
|Ending and Renewing
Year-to-Year: May be terminated by either party giving written notice at least 90 days before the end of the year.
Periodic Tenancy: May be terminated by either party giving written notice of 1 full rental period.
Fixed Term: Termination at the end of the term with no notice required if specified within the Lease or ended by notice with the period as specified in the written Lease.
|The payee or holder of a worthless check may impose a service charge not to exceed $25.
|Returned Payment Fee
|The payee or holder of a worthless check may impose a service charge not to exceed $25.
|There is no statutory limit on late charges. However, assessed fees should be reasonably related to the expenses the Landlord incurs as a result of a late payment.
|Landlords may require Tenants to obtain rental insurance and could make the failure to do so a violation of the Lease Agreement.
|Notice to Enter
Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors: An operational smoke detector must be installed in the “immediate vicinity” of every sleeping area in all one and two-family units. The Landlord is responsible for installing and replacing smoke detectors, but renters are responsible for the routine maintenance of smoke detectors.
PLEASE NOTE: If the tenant of a unit is deaf or hearing impaired, it is the responsibility of the Landlord, upon written request by or on behalf of the Tenant, to provide and install a smoke detector with a light signal sufficient to warn the deaf or hearing-impaired individual of the danger of fire.
- Lead-Based Paint Disclosure & Pamphlet: Pursuant to federal law, if the unit was built before 1978, occupants must be provided with a Lead-Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead-Based Paint EPA Pamphlet.
- Non-refundable Fees: Any and all nonrefundable fees must be stated in the Lease Agreement.
We automatically include these disclosures in your Lease Agreement.
Want to add additional documents to your Lease Package? We have over 25 additional documents, disclosures, and addendums that you can add with the click of a button. For example, a Pet Addendum, Flood Disclosure, or Smoking Policy Disclosure Form.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does a Lease have to be notarized in West Virginia?
No, West Virginia Lease Agreements do not need to be notarized. As long as the Lease meets the criteria to be enforceable and is signed by both parties, it’s considered legally binding and fully enforceable. The parties may opt to notarize a Lease if they want to, but it’s not required.
Can you write your own tenancy agreement?
Technically, yes, you can write your own Lease Agreement. To do so, you should have experience writing Rental Contracts and be knowledgeable about West Virginia Lease laws. The Lease Agreement is the most important document that Landlords use, and it’s what protects the Landlord, or lessor, if problems arise with a Tenant.
Because of this, it’s important to always have a comprehensive Lease in place that complies with all state, federal, and local laws. It can be risky to write your own Lease. There are some basic and generic Lease forms that you can use to help create a Lease. However, it’s best to not rely fully on a blank, fillable Lease form, as these can leave out important details and terms that Landlords need. To make sure you have the full protection you need, it’s important to use a comprehensive, customizable state-specific Lease Agreement.
Who needs a Lease Agreement?
Anyone who rents real estate needs a Lease Agreement. This is true whether you Lease a single-family home, duplex, condo, or apartment. The Lease is what outlines all terms of the rental relationship and what protects both parties if issues arise.
Do West Virginia Landlords need a state-specific Lease Agreement?
Yes. If your rental property is located in West Virginia, it is controlled by West Virginia Lease laws. This means you need a Lease Agreement that complies with all West Virginia laws. There are some simple state Lease Agreements available online - for example, the one offered by the West Virginia Association of Realtors. While these are better than more generic Lease forms, they are not customizable and fail to address some important details of a rental relationship.
To get the most out of your rental property and to make sure you have the protection you need, it’s important to use a customizable and comprehensive state-specific Lease Agreement.
What is the standard Lease term in West Virginia?
The standard Lease term in West Virginia is 1 year (12 months). Longer and shorter tenancy periods are recognized as long as they are clearly stated in the Lease Agreement.
Other Popular Forms
The Lease is just one of many forms that Landlords need. That’s why we have over 400 property management forms covering every phase of the Landlord lifecycle.
- Rental Application: Use our FREE Rental Application to start the screening process and gather vital information about your Applicants. We offer a paperless Rental Application that makes it EZ to start your complete Tenant Screening. Complete Tenant Screening includes a credit report, ResidentScore, criminal history background report, and eviction history report.
- Move-In/Move-Out Walkthrough Checklist: Customize this form to document the condition of your rental unit at move-in and move-out. This is a must if you collect a security deposit.
- Tenant Welcome Letter: Make sure your Tenants have all the info they need from day 1 by creating a Tenant Welcome Letter. It’s a great way to lay the foundation for good Landlord-Tenant communication.
- Rent Ledger: Our FREE rent ledger helps Landlords stay organized and keep records of all payments. This is essential if a Tenant misses any rent payments!
- Increase in Rent Notice: Increasing rent can be tricky. Use this form to make sure that you provide Tenants with proper notice and all necessary info about an upcoming increase in rent.
West Virginia Rental Forms & Templates
- West Virginia Returned Check Notice: This Notice must be sent to Tenants before charging a $15 returned-check fee. It provides the Tenant with information about the returned check and lets the Tenant know that the unpaid rent, plus a $15 returned-check fee, must be paid.
Other State Lease Agreements
If you Lease real estate in multiple states, you need a state-specific Rental Contract for each property. Thankfully, we’ve got state-specific Leases for all 50 states!
- Kentucky Rental Contract: Create a complete Kentucky Lease Package entirely online in minutes.
- Maryland Residential Lease Agreement: Our Maryland Lease meets all the Lease laws of the State of Maryland and the City of Baltimore.
- Ohio Residential Rental Contract: Includes unlimited access to our electronic signing tool, ezSign.
- Pennsylvania Lease Agreement: The EZ and worry-free way to comply with Pennsylvania’s unique laws.
- Virginia Lease Package: Customize your VA Lease Package by choosing from over 25 additional documents, disclosures, and addendums.
Need another state’s Lease Agreement? We’ve got it!
Create West Virginia Lease Agreement
It only takes about 15 minutes to create a great West Virginia Lease Agreement!
- EZ to customize entirely online
- Guaranteed to comply with all West Virginia Lease laws
- Includes access to ezSign and ezCloudStorage