California 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quit

4.2 Stars

The EzLandlord Forms' California 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quit is used before filing for eviction for a tenant who is behind on rent.

Document Last Modified: 4/18/2024

Document Features


Auto-Fill Document


Related Documents

This EZ Landlord Forms’ California 3-Day Notice to Pay or Quit is the form for a landlord to use when dealing with a tenant who has not remitted the amount owed and is behind on rental payments. This form is specific to California's judicial procedures and is the first step in the line of eviction. In some cases, a tenant will receive this intimidating notification and pay before a case needs to be opened up in the local courthouse. However, if that does not seem to be the case, this notice opens the necessary doors to legally remove your tenant from the rental premises. Staying on top of non-paying tenants by sending the California 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quit as soon as possible will show a tenant that you mean business.

landlords really need to know

This form allows the landlord to list the rent owed, and the date the money was to be paid. Only the rent may be listed in this document. Do not include items such as late charges and other fees. The 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quit is straight to the point; it tells the delinquent tenant to either pay or vacate the premises. There are fields included to make sure that the proper address for where payment will be accepted as well as the days and times the landlord will be available.

This notice must be served personally from the landlord by it to the tenant, by substituted service, or by posting on the premises PLUS mailing. The landlord should give this form to the tenant three days before initiating court proceedings.

Once the landlord serves the form to the tenant he/she may start the three-day period the day after. Keep a copy of the notice for record-keeping.

If the tenant does not correspond with the notice, the next step would be for the landlord to serve the Unlawful Detainer.

Please note: Landlord/Tenant laws in California can be very complex. Hiring an attorney is strongly suggested!

California State Specific Documents

State-Specific Forms