California 30 Day Notice to Vacate

4.6 Stars

The California 30 Day Notice to Vacate ends a periodic tenancy of less than one year for rental units not in rent-controlled jurisdictions.

Document Last Modified: 5/9/2023

Document Features


Auto-Fill Document


When a resident reaches the end of his or her occupancy there are specific procedures for both landlord and tenant to obey to end the lease properly. This form is only to be used for tenancies that are periodic, which means that there is no predetermined ending date. A 30-Day Notice to Vacate may be used for periodic leases that are LESS THAN 12 MONTHS IN DURATION. California is very exact and precise in its requirements for ending a lease.

Although this specific form does not have to state the landlord's reason for ending the tenancy, the reason cannot be unreasonable. Landlords are encouraged to do their due diligence in learning the requirements for their local jurisdictions. In specific locations where rents are controlled, landlords may need to use a completely different form and follow requirements set by the rent-controlled location. Under these circumstances, the landlord is encouraged to contact the local housing office.

For tenancies that are over one year, a 60-Day Notice should be used.

When the landlord is ready to end the lease, this is provided to the tenant 30 Days ahead of time. This gives that tenant either 30 days to move out. If the tenant does not leave before the end of the 30 days, then the landlord may initiate eviction. When sending this form, the landlord may hand it personally to the tenant or someone who lives with the tenant who is of an appropriate age, the notice itself may be posted upon the door of the premises or in another visible location or the landlord may mail this form by certified or registered mail.

This form is NOT TO BE used for Section 8 tenants. Tenants who are participating in a Section 8 program are entitled to a reason.

If a landlord is dealing with a violation of a lease, they may use the California 3 Day Notice to Perform or Quit or the California 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quit.

Note: This is a no-cause notice for tenants who ARE NOT in a rent-controlled location.

Further information may be found at:

California State Specific Documents

State-Specific Forms

Why ezLandlordForms?

#1 Rated Lease Agreement

9.3 TrustPilot Rating, with 3,384 Reviews

Flexible Billing

Choose one-time or subscription billing

State Assist

So you know you're complying with state laws

Full Support

Phone, live chat, or email... try us now!

Unlimited Access

Edit & print any of our forms with pro access

Satisfaction Guarantee

Trusted by over 2.3 million landlords & property managers


fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771
We are available 7 days a week to answer your
questions and to receive your feedback

ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.

ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.

Copyright © 2006-2023, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program

Version: 1.1634.0