Rhode Island Lease Agreement with ezSign
Create & download the Rhode Island Residential Lease & Rental Agreement printable PDF for Landlords. This state-specific Lease is customizable & includes Rhode Island law.
Document Last Modified: 3/28/2023
Uses Lease Builder
Pro Tip: Always screen Tenants before handing over possession of your rental unit. Thorough screening starts with a Rental Application and includes a credit report, criminal history report, ResidentScore, and eviction history report. See sample reports or state screening here.
The EZ Way to Protect Your Rental Property
Our Lease makes sure that Landlords are fully protected. It’s EZ to create, EZ to read, and EZ to sign.
No wonder so many Landlords continue to rely on our Lease Agreement.
- Over 3 million Leases created since 2006
- Rated “excellent” 4.8 from 5,000+ reviews
- Recommended by Shark Tank’s Barbara Corcoran
Rated “excellent” 4.8 from 5,000+ reviews on Trustpilot
Watch Our Videos
▶ This is Why a Lease is so Important
▶ How to ezSign your Lease Agreement
Video to Share with Tenants
Table of Contents
- Rhode Island Residential Lease Agreement
- Landlord-Tenant Laws
- Required Disclosures
- Other Popular Forms
- Rhode Island Rental Forms & Templates
- Other State Lease Agreements
- Create Rhode Island Lease Agreement
Rhode Island Residential Lease Agreement
Rhode Island Landlords need a Lease Agreement that complies with all state Lease laws and covers all rules of the rental property. Here’s how we make it EZ for Landlords to do both:
- Follow user-friendly prompts to customize their Lease Package entirely online.
- As you build your Lease, you’ll get State Assist tips to point out important state laws.
- All state-required terms, language, and disclosures are automatically included in the Lease Agreement.
- You can customize your Lease Package by adding additional documents, disclosures, or addendums with just the click of a button.
- Once it’s created, you can review and sign your Lease entirely online using our ezSign tool.
- Your executed Lease Agreement is automatically stored securely with our ezCloudStorage.
Pro Tip: Your Lease Agreement needs to comply with all Rhode Island Lease laws. When you build a Rhode Island Lease, we’ll give you State Assist Tips. In addition, all state-required terms, language, and disclosures are automatically included in our Lease Agreement.
Our Rhode Island Lease Agreement includes all state-required terms, language, and disclosures. Even so, it’s important to be familiar with state laws when managing your Rhode Island rental.
|Ending and Renewing||
To either renew or terminate, Notice must be delivered:
|Security Deposit||The security deposit may not exceed 1 month's rent.|
|Returned Payment Fee||A fee not to exceed the amount of $25.00 can be charged to the Tenant for a returned check.|
|Late Fee||Rhode Island does not specifically state whether a late fee is permitted. However, when a Tenant fails to pay rent and court action is necessary, this action may only be for unpaid rent, NOT any other charges.|
|Insurance Requirements||Landlords may require Tenants to obtain rental insurance and can make the failure to do so a breach of the Lease|
|Notice to Enter||Landlords must provide at least 2 days’ notice before entering the Leased premises.|
The Landlord must disclose the name, address, and phone number of the person responsible for managing the property before the commencement of the Tenancy. Out of state Landlords must register with the township or city as well as with the Secretary of State.
Non-Refundable Fees There are no stated regulations limiting the collection of non-refundable fees.
Contact your local housing or zoning office to be sure your rental property complies with city and county requirements for inspections, rent control, occupancy limits, property codes, and zoning. Many cities and counties require inspections and registrations and have specific maintenance regulations.
All Rhode Island required language, terms, and disclosures are AUTOMATICALLY included in our Rhode Island Lease Agreement.
- Lead-Based Paint Disclosure: If the rental unit was built before 1978, federal law requires that the Landlord provide occupants with a lead-based paint disclosure and pamphlet.
Rhode Island does not require any additional disclosures. However, Landlords can select from over 25 additional documents, disclosures, and addendums to meet their needs. For example, a Pet Addendum, Winter Weather Addendum, or Pool/Hot Tub Addendum.
Do Rhode Island Lease Agreements need to be notarized?
No, Lease Agreements do not need to be notarized in Rhode Island. As long as the Rental Contract is signed by both parties, it’s considered legally binding and fully enforceable.
Who needs a Lease Agreement in Rhode Island?
Anyone who rents real estate needs a Lease Agreement in Rhode Island. This is true whether it’s an apartment, single-family home, condo, duplex, or triplex. The Lease Contract protects the Landlord if problems arise with the Tenant or the property. As a result, it’s important to have a strong Lease agreement in place before handing over possession of your property.
It’s best to avoid generic, fillable Lease forms, as these are not customized to your property. Instead of starting with a blank form, you want to create a document that covers all terms of your rental relationship.
Does my Lease need to be state-specific?
Yes! Your Lease Agreement needs to comply with all Rhode Island Lease Laws. This means you don’t want to use a standard Lease template or a simple Lease form. Instead, Landlords need a state-specific Lease document that includes all Rhode Island-required terms, language, and disclosures.The Rhode Island Association of Realtors offers a basic state-specific Lease form. While this is better than just a simple Lease template, it still leaves Landlords exposed.
The Lease Agreement needs to be state specific AND customized to cover all terms of the rental unit. That’s why we make it EZ for Landlords to customize their Lease Package AND we guarantee that your Lease complies with all state Lease laws.
What is the standard Lease term in Rhode Island?
The standard Lease term in Rhode Island is one year (12 months). However, longer or shorter Lease periods are recognized as long as they’re clearly stated in the Lease Agreement.
To help make things EZ for Landlords, we offer Short-Term Lease Agreements, Month-to-Month Lease Contracts, Vacation Rental Contracts, and Long-Term Residential Lease Agreements.
Can a Landlord terminate a Lease Rhode Island?
Pursuant to Rhode Island Law, a Landlord, or lessor, may terminate a month-to-month Lease Agreement with 30 days’ notice. For fixed-term Lease Agreements, the Lease terminates at the end of the term unless otherwise stated in the Lease Agreement.
If a Landlord wants to terminate a Lease Agreement before the end of the term because the Tenant has breached the Lease Agreement or has unpaid rent, the Landlord must issue the proper notice in order to terminate the Lease Agreement.
How do I store my Lease Agreement?
It’s important that executed Lease Agreements are both accessible and stored securely. To meet both of these objectives, our Lease Agreements are automatically stored securely on the cloud with our ezCloudStorage.
In addition, they’re easy to print or download as a PDF. Whatever option you choose, make sure that your Lease is both secure and accessible.
Other Popular Forms
The Lease is just one of many state-specific forms that Landlords need. That’s why we have a library with over 450 property management forms.
- Rental Application: Our free Rental Application lets Landlords gather vital information about Applicants. Plus, it provides Landlords with the authorizations necessary to do a complete Tenant Screening, including a credit report, ResidentScore, criminal history background report, and eviction history report.
- Move-In/Move-Out Walkthrough Checklist: This customizable checklist makes it EZ for Landlords to document the condition of their rental unit at move-in and move-out. This is a must for Landlords that collect a security deposit.
- Tenant Welcome Letter: Customize this letter to ensure renters have all the information they need about their rental unit from day 1.
Pro Tip: Good communication leads to strong Landlord-Tenant relationships.
- Rent Ledger: Use this free rent ledger to stay organized, quickly identify any late payments, and ensure proper documentation of all payments.
Rhode Island Rental Forms & Templates
- Rhode Island 5-Day Demand for Rent: Use this form if Tenants are more than 15 days late with rent. It’s a necessary first step in the eviction process.
- Rhode Island Notice of Noncompliance: This Notice should be given to Tenants with Lease violations other than nonpayment of rent. It gives Tenants 20 days to cure the violation or risk Lease termination.
- Rhode Island Landlord-Tenant Handbook: This resource summarizes Landlord and Tenant rights and responsibilities.
Need another form? We have over 450 more!
Other State Lease Agreements
If you Lease property in multiple states, you need a state-specific Lease Agreement for each one. Don’t worry, we’ve got them all!
- Connecticut Residential Lease Agreement: Create the complete Connecticut Lease Package online in minutes.
- Massachusetts Rental Contract: Guaranteed to comply with all of MA’s complex Lease laws.
- New Hampshire Lease Agreement: Enjoy unlimited access to our electronic signing tool, ezSign.
- New York Residential Lease Contract: Complies with all NY state and New York City Lease requirements.
- Pennsylvania Rental Contract: It only takes about 15 minutes to customize a complete PA Lease Package.
Need another state? We’ve got it!
Create Rhode Island Lease Agreement
Ready to create the complete Rhode Island Lease Package?
- EZ to customize entirely online in about 15 minutes.
- Guaranteed to comply with all Rhode Island Lease Laws.
- Includes unlimited access to electronic signing and electronic storage.
Back To Top ▲
#1 Rated Lease Agreement
9.3 TrustPilot Rating, with 3,384 Reviews
Choose one-time or subscription billing
So you know you're complying with state laws
Phone, live chat, or email... try us now!
Edit & print any of our forms with pro access
Trusted by over 2.3 million landlords & property managers