Move-In/Move-Out Walk-Through Checklist
Pro Form: Create a Pro Account to access this form
This form lets Landlords document the condition of their rental property at move-in and move-out, making it easy to identify any damage caused by Tenants. The form is easy to customize to fit the specific needs of your property.
Document Last Modified: 6/17/2023
State Specific Clauses
WA State Assist
If any moneys are paid to the landlord by the tenant as a deposit or as security for performance of the tenant's obligations in a lease or rental agreement, the lease or rental agreement shall be in writing and shall include the terms and conditions under which the deposit or portion thereof may be withheld by the landlord upon termination of the lease or rental agreement.
If all or part of the deposit may be withheld to indemnify the landlord for damages to the premises for which the tenant is responsible, the rental agreement shall be in writing and shall so specify.
No such deposit shall be withheld on account of normal wear and tear resulting from ordinary use of the premises.
There are no restrictions on the maximum amount that may be collected as a security deposit, however;
- The landlord must provide an inspection checklist signed by both parties stating the condition and cleanliness of the premises along with a written rental agreement.
The tenant has the right to request one free replacement copy of the written checklist.
BEWARE: If the landlord collects a deposit without providing a written checklist at the commencement of the tenancy, the landlord may be liable to the tenant for the amount of the deposit, and the prevailing party may recover court costs and reasonable attorneys' fees. This does not limit the tenant's right to recover moneys paid as damages or security.
- The landlord must describe in the lease the conditions under which a deposit may be retained.
- The landlord must place the deposit in a trust account in Washington and give the tenant a receipt indicating its location.
IMPORTANT: If any type of fee or refundable deposit is being paid, the agreement must be in writing.
WARNING: No such deposit shall be withheld on account of normal wear and tear resulting from ordinary use of the premises.
Pro Tip: Before signing a Lease Agreement, it is always important to complete a Tenant Screening and Rental Application to ensure the Applicant is qualified to rent your property and to reduce the risk of eviction proceedings.
Landlords are required to account for any expenses that will be deducted from a Tenant’s Security Deposit because of damage to the property. The best way to do this is by documenting the condition of the property at Move-In and Move-Out. Thorough documentation will ensure that the process is transparent and that there’s no confusion or ambiguity about damage caused by your Tenant.
The Move-In/Move-Out Checklist is comprehensive and can be edited to meet the specific needs of your property - for example, you can add rooms, features, and items as needed. The form also has a section for additional notes and a space for both parties to sign and date after the Move-In and Move-Out Walkthrough.
Here are some tips to make this process as effective and smooth as possible:
- The Tenant and Landlord (or your representative) should walk the property together at move-in and move-out, visiting every room and checking off every item on the checklist.
- All damages, regardless of how minor, should be accounted for on the form.
- Keep a copy of the Walk-Through Checklist and give a signed copy to the Tenant after both Walk-Throughs.
- Schedule the Move-Out Walk-Through for a day or two after the Tenant moves out, in the event that the property is damaged during moving.
- Any items left in the property after move-out, including trash, should be noted on the checklist.
A thorough Walk-Through Process helps to keep your property in good condition and ensures that you have proper documentation in case you need to withhold some or all of the security deposit. This form lets you customize your Walk-Through Checklist to make the process as easy as possible.
#1 Rated Lease Agreement
9.3 TrustPilot Rating, with 3,384 Reviews
Choose one-time or subscription billing
So you know you're complying with state laws
Phone, live chat, or email... try us now!
Edit & print any of our forms with pro access
Trusted by over 2.3 million landlords & property managers