Mississippi 3-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate
The 3-Day Notice to Pay or Vacate shall inform the tenant to either pay rent or deliver up possession before eviction proceedings are initiated.
Document Last Modified: 4/29/2023
The Reasons For Providing This Notice
In Mississippi a landlord may give this notice to a tenant that has not paid their rent. When this is the case, a landlord will provide this notice to tell the tenant that they will need to pay the amount that is owed or leave the property. This notice can only be given for this reason and does not include any other violations of the lease agreement.
Methods Of Delivering The Notice
The 3-Day Notice To Pay Rent or Vacate is particular in that it can only be delivered in three specific ways. If the notice is not delivered using one of the following methods then the notice period may be lengthened or may be completely invalid.
- The appropriate delivery means are to:
- Mail the notice to the tenant by certified mail with a return receipt.
- Give the notice to another resident at the property that is over 13 years of age.
- Give the notice to the tenant directly.
In all of these cases it is important for the landlord to follow the procedures to the letter. If any step is not carried out in the exact way that has been laid out by the law or has used tactics to intimidate the tenant then the landlord may have issues with furthering the eviction process.
The Process For Eviction
The process for evicting a tenant can only begin by using this form if they have violated their lease agreement in terms of rent and payment owed. Once this happens, the landlord has the right to fill out and deliver this notice form. From the time the form has been served, the landlord must wait the 3-day period for the tenant to either pay the owed rent or vacate the property. If the tenant does not comply with either of these requests, the landlord may file to have a hearing in court. If all the processes have been followed correctly then in court the judge will rule on the side of the landlord and choose a date to remove the tenant from the property.
Evicting a tenant because they have not paid rent or for any other violation can be complicated. If you would like to know more about the processes and get tips from our experts, please visit: https://www.ezlandlordforms.com/articles/educational/4/move-out-and-eviction/
For more details about the rules and laws for Mississippi landlords, please visit: Mississippi Rules and Laws
Mississippi Rental Forms & Templates
The Lease is just one of many forms Landlords need. That’s why we have over 400 property management forms covering the entire Landlord Lifecycle.
- Rental Application: Our Free Rental Application makes it EZ for Landlords to gather important information about Tenants and start a complete Tenant Screening.
Pro Tip: Thorough Tenant Screening should include a credit report, ResidentScore, criminal history background report, and eviction history report. View sample reports or start your screening here.
- Move-In/Move-Out Walkthrough Checklist: Document the condition of your rental unit at move-in and move-out using this customizable checklist. This is a must if you collect a security deposit!
- Tenant Welcome Letter: Customize this letter to share important information about your rental unit with your renters.
- Rent Ledger: Stay up to date with all rental payments and ensure you have adequate documentation in the event Tenants miss a payment.
- Mississippi 3-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate: This notice should be used when Tenants are late with rent. It’s a necessary first step in the eviction process.
- Mississippi 30-Day Notice to Quit: This notice should be used for Lease violations other than nonpayment of rent. It’s a necessary first step in the eviction process.
Need another form? We have over 400 property management forms on our site!
#1 Rated Lease Agreement
9.3 TrustPilot Rating, with 3,384 Reviews
Choose one-time or subscription billing
So you know you're complying with state laws
Phone, live chat, or email... try us now!
Edit & print any of our forms with pro access
Trusted by over 2.3 million landlords & property managers