Summary of the Chicago Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance
Free Form: Create an account to access forms
This required Summary of the Chicago Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance must be attached to some leases for properties within Chicago.
Document Last Modified: 6/13/2023
The City of Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance is a critical guide to the ins and outs of the landlord-tenant agreement, and it outlines the rules and responsibilities of each party. This informational document includes details on the ordinance including what it is, what rental units are covered by it, the general duties of the ordinance, when the ordinance must be provided and to whom.
The Summary of the Chicago Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance covers a variety of issues that may come up during your tenant’s lease term. It provides an overview of the landlord’s general duties on a broad scale. It also outlines specific safety issues, such as minimum acceptable strength for a porch or deck, and the responsibility for smoke and carbon monoxide batteries. What happens when a tenant makes a late rent payment, or misses a payment altogether? What recourse does the landlord have? This document informs you of the legal responses to that infraction. What happens in the event of a fire in the unit? Are there essential services that you must provide as a landlord? This document has the answers to many of the important questions that may arise, and addresses other essential topics such as security deposits, subleases, attorney’s fees and much more!
A copy of this summary shall be attached to certain leases as described in the Chicago Landlord and Tenant Ordinance Summary. Familiarizing yourself and your tenant to this document will help you both understand the regulatory framework for the city of Chicago, and hopefully allow your tenant-landlord relationship to proceed smoothly. It is especially important for Chicago landlords to understand this ordinance clearly to be sure to be in compliance.
Illinois State Specific Documents
- Illinois Lease Agreement: This state-specific Lease is customizable and includes IL laws.
- Illinois Landlord-Tenant Laws & Rights: This is a helpful resource and makes it EZ for Illinois Landlords to comply with all state laws.
- City of Evanston Landlord-Tenant Ordinance: Evanston Landlords - This great tool covers all city ordinances and local Landlord-Tenant requirements.
- Illinois 5-Day Notice to Pay Rent: This Notice is required before eviction proceedings can be started and should be used for Tenants that have not paid rent.
- Illinois 10-Day Notice to Cure: This Notice should be used when a Tenant breaks the Lease for some reason other than nonpayment of rent. It’s a required step before filing for eviction.
- Chicago Lease Addendum - Heating Costs: The Chicago Lease Addendum - Heating Costs is a required addendum when the tenant is responsible for heating the rental property.
- Chicago Recycling Ordinance: The Chicago Recycling Ordinance has specific requirements that Landlords must follow. Download this guide to use & share with Tenants.