Maryland Sample Failure to Pay Rent/Landlord's Complaint for Repossession of Rented Property
Free Form: Create an account to access forms
If your tenant did not pay rent, you must first give them a proper notice. If they did not cure the situation, you can use this form to start court proceedings.
Document Last Modified: 7/11/2023
This form is applicable in Maryland district court, and can be obtained from any district court location. If you need one pertinent to Baltimore City, you’ll can find hard copy forms at the Fayette and Gay Street location only. Note that the downloadable copy is for instructional use only. This form cannot be completed online, and the court requires the carbon less multi-part form (hard copy).
Who: This form must be completed and filed with the district court in Maryland in order to start the official eviction process in the event of a tenant’s nonpayment of rent. However, the landlord (you) must first give the tenant notice that they are behind on the rent, and that they have a specific amount of time to pay before the eviction process proceeds.
What: This form starts the eviction process after you have notified the tenant that they are behind on rent, and they have not paid the amount due. Note that there is no legally defined notification period for alerting the tenant about nonpayment of rent. It is at the landlord’s discretion.
The form itself consists of multiple pages, and all the applicable fields must be completed. Again, this form cannot be completed online. The court will only accept a legal hard copy version.
The first section is given over to your name and contact information, as well as the tenant’s information (you’re the plaintiff and the tenant is the defendant). Next, you must list the property’s location, whether you’re licensed to operate it as a rental property, and your license number.
You need to provide information concerning environmental regulations, as well as whether the tenancy is subsidized by the government, how the rental payment agreement is set up, and the amount of rent late/due.
If prior judgments have been made against the tenant, those should be listed, and you’ll need to include the name of your attorney, as well as his or her contact information.
When: This form can be filed at any point after the notice given to the tenant about nonpayment of rent has expired. For instance, if you notified the client that he or she had three days to pay rent, this form can be filed on the fourth business day (weekends and holidays don’t count).
- Sample Maryland Lease Agreement
- Maryland’s Law Summary
- Further Reading: Move Out & Eviction Articles
Tips and Tricks for Landlords:
There is no legally-defined notification period for nonpayment of rent. The state leaves it at your discretion. Some landlords prefer a 3-day notice, while others are willing to give 5 or 7 days.
Maryland Rental Forms and Templates
- Maryland Security Deposit Receipt: Any time a Landlord collects a security deposit from a Tenant, they must provide them with a Maryland-specific security deposit receipt.
- Rent Ledger: This is a great way to keep up with Rent Payments and to maintain thorough documentation of all payments.
- Maryland Notice to Vacate: This Notice to Vacate alerts occupants that the Landlord plans to retake possession of the property due to Lease violations.
- Montgomery County Notice to Vacate for Cause: This notice is for Landlords in Montgomery County that plan to retake possession because of uncured Lease violations.
- Baltimore Eviction Procedures for Landlords and Tenants: Evictions are complicated. This resource guides Baltimore Landlords through each step of the eviction process.
- Maryland Sample Failure to Pay Rent/Landlord’s Complaint for Repossession of Rented Property: This is a sample filing that Maryland Landlords can use to start eviction proceedings. It can only be used after Landlords have given proper notice.
Don’t see the form you need? No problem, search our library of over 450 forms, including over 200 FREE FORMS!
Pro Tip: Having access to all the forms you need makes it EZ to manage your property and ensure good Landlord-Tenant communication. Pro Members have access to our entire library of forms and templates!
#1 Rated Lease Agreement
9.3 TrustPilot Rating, with 3,384 Reviews
Choose one-time or subscription billing
So you know you're complying with state laws
Phone, live chat, or email... try us now!
Edit & print any of our forms with pro access
Trusted by over 2.3 million landlords & property managers