Colorado Official Notice to Quit
The Colorado Notice to Quit is used before an eviction may be filed If a tenant has violated the lease, repeated a violation and/or any type of unlawful activity.
Document Last Modified: 1/16/2020
Giving notice is the first step in the eviction process. In Colorado, the Notice to Quit may be served on a tenant by the landlord if a lease agreement has expired and the landlord wants a tenant to move out of the unit for any reason.
The Official Notice to Quit Form must be issued before other eviction steps may be taken, including filing an eviction action in court. This Notice to Quit Form must be downloaded and filled in by the landlord.
The form includes Colorado language and formatting. It requires the landlord to describe the property and state the deadline for which the tenant must move out. The form must be signed by the landlord, or by the landlord’s attorney or agent.
In order to be enforceable under Colorado law, the notice must be served in advance of the deadline to move out, with the amount of advance notice determined by the length of tenancy:
- Tenancy of 1 year or longer - give notice 91 days before the deadline
- Tenancy of 6 months to less than 1 year - give notice 28 days before deadline
- Tenancy of 1 month to less than 6 months - give notice 7 days before deadline
- Tenancy of 1 week to less than 1 month - give notice 3 days before the deadline
- Tenancy at will - give notice 3 days before the deadline
- Tenancy of less than 1 week - give notice 1 day before deadline
If the tenant has not moved out by the deadline specified in the Notice to Quit, the landlord then may take the next step in the eviction process.
Details on the Colorado eviction process may be found here.
Free Colorado court forms are also available at: Courts.state.co.us
#1 Rated Lease Agreement
9.3 TrustPilot Rating, with 3,384 Reviews
No Recurring Billing
No automatic charges or monthly billing
So you know you're complying with state laws
Phone, live chat, or email... try us now!
Edit & print any of our forms with pro access
Trusted by over 2.3 million landlords & property managers