Hawaii Official Landlord Tenant Complaint (3rd Circuit Court)

5 Stars

Use this official court document to file for eviction in the Third Judicial Circuit, after waiting the specific days in the notice that was served to tenant(s).

Document Last Modified: 5/10/2023

Document Features


This is the official Landlord/Tenant Complaint used to file for eviction in the Third Judicial Circuit, which comprises the entire island of Hawaii.

Who: You (the landlord) must fill out the complaint and file it with the Clerk of Court for the Third Judicial Circuit. Only you will be required to fill out the fields on this form – the tenant will not be required to provide any information.

What: This is the formal complaint required to start the actual eviction process. In format, it is very similar to the forms used in the First and Second Judicial Circuits (with a few differences) and includes several important fields that must be completed for the complaint to be usable and for the eviction process to move forward.

    Pay close attention to the following areas:
  • Your name (plaintiff)
  • The tenant’s name (defendant)
  • The street address of the property in question, including city and state
    • The type of rental agreement being used:
    • Formal written
    • Oral (no written)
    • Expired written
  • Include a copy of the lease agreement with the complaint form (even if it’s expired)
    • How the tenant broke the lease:
    • Nonpayment of rent (include the amount due)
    • Lease violation (include the type of violation)
  • When written notice was given to the tenant (date and copy of the notice)

When: Complete and file this with the District Court along with any fees required. You cannot file a formal complaint until the waiting period specified in the formal notice that was given to the tenant has expired.

For instance, if you served the tenant with a 5 Day Notice to Pay Rent, you cannot file the formal complaint until 5 business days have passed without the tenant making payment. In the case of a 10 Day Notice to Cure, you cannot file a formal complaint until 10 business days have passed during which the tenant continues to commit the violation (or if the tenant commits the violation again after the 10 days is over).

Once the formal complaint has been filed, the court will require the tenant to appear and a judgment will be made on the case.

Tips and Tricks for Landlords: The waiting period specified in the official notice to the tenant must have ended before you can file a formal complaint. Ensure that you’re following the stipulations set out in the lease agreement, as well.

Hawaii State Specific Documents

Need another form? Search our library of over 400 property management forms!

State-Specific Forms

Why ezLandlordForms?

#1 Rated Lease Agreement

9.3 TrustPilot Rating, with 3,384 Reviews

Flexible Billing

Choose one-time or subscription billing

State Assist

So you know you're complying with state laws

Full Support

Phone, live chat, or email... try us now!

Unlimited Access

Edit & print any of our forms with pro access

Satisfaction Guarantee

Trusted by over 2.3 million landlords & property managers


fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771
We are available 7 days a week to answer your
questions and to receive your feedback

ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.

ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.

Copyright © 2006-2023, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program

Version: 1.1674.0