Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / General Property Management / Sued over ice maker?
Hello all, I have a situation where my tenant is threatening to sue me over an ice maker working sporadically. I left appliances at the house as a courtesy to the tenant (fridge, wash/dryer, dishwasher, stove). When she told me the ice machine wasn't working I hired an appliance repairman to come to the house and fix it. He installed a new ice maker, replaced the filter and checked the water lines. Everything seemed to work, until three days later. My tenant called me again and told me the ice maker wasn't working. I called the repairman back and he went out to investigate and has no idea what's wrong. He said he could replace the entire filtration system on the fridge but it would cost over $600. I'm already into this ice maker repair for $300, so I told the repairman no thanks. I called the tenant back and told her that she would have to make due with ice trays or I could purchase a small counter top ice maker. She threw a fit and is threatening to sue me. I think I've shown I am more than willing to work with her. However, I could use some advise on my rights as a landlord. Thank you for you help.
Matt S, MD on Monday, May 6, 2013
RE: Sued over ice maker?
Matt... what would the tenant be suing for? To force the landlord to install an ice maker? What attorney would take such a silly case?
Posted by karen s, WI on Tuesday, May 7, 2013
RE: Sued over ice maker?
Giver her a dollar store ice cube tray. There -- you've just provided a new "ice maker".
Posted by Dawn A, WI on Tuesday, May 7, 2013
RE: Sued over ice maker?
Technically, if a lease provides for an appliance or service, the landlord is responsible for making sure that the said appliance or service is in working condition depending on how the repairs and maintenance are set up in the lease. It appears that you have made every attempt to make this tenant happy including providing an automatic ice maker. I cannot imagine a Judge on earth that would permit a tenant to receive judgment on such a case. But one never knows, so make sure you show proof of what you have done thus far and what you have offered.
Posted by Millie S, BC on Friday, May 31, 2013
Documents related to this forum

Rent Receipt

Property Management Agreement (for Landlords)

Lease Renewal Agreement

Direct Deposit Billing Authorization

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jacob W, WI
Updated: 06/24/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Harold P, MO
Updated: 12/15/2021
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Jared B, UT
Updated: 11/09/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Troy D, WA
Updated: 12/09/2014
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Scott H, IA
Updated: 02/11/2012
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program