State-Specific Legal Forms Landlords Trust

Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Is it acceptable to allow dogs in one half of a duplex and not the other? I've heard different things one being that if allow one half to have pets I legally have to let the other.
Jacob W, WI on Monday, September 20, 2010
RE: allowing dogs
A few points: 1. It's probably legal technically, but you don't want to leave yourself open to a case of "discrimination." I would find some defensible distinction, such as a weight limit, if you want to prohibit dogs for one tenant. 2. Tenants with dogs are pretty ubiquitous, you might as well rent to them. I would just require a higher security deposit, or better yet, higher rent for pet owners.
Posted by Gregory T, CA on Friday, October 1, 2010
The tenent had 2 small dogs and just moved out. After the carpets were cleaned there was an overwhelming odor. A new tenent is set to move in soon...any advice? Wendy B, WA on Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Posted by James & Wendy B, OR on Tuesday, February 15, 2011
James & Wendy this advice may be too late for this time but something to file away for future use. Many years ago we bought a home that the owner kept a german shepard locked in a room all day. Needless to say the carpets were ruined and the urine soaked all the way through the carpet pad. We ripped out the carpet and pad and went all the way down to sub floor but the smell remained. I called the local humane society for some advice. We washed the floor with a mixture of 50% water/50% vinegar. Apparently the vinegar cuts the uric acid. One treatment did the trick.
Posted by Stuart P, AZ on Sunday, March 27, 2011
Yep, tried the vinegar - and some mamby-pamby bio stuff in two houses I acquired. Didn't work. One, a garage I washed with Clorox and used a concrete epoxy paint. Worked great. My current rental has all laminate floors - bomb proof, and apparently scent-proof after 7 years of tenants with dogs.
Posted by Tony A, AK on Sunday, March 27, 2011
I am seeing lots of cracks in the current 18" square ceramic tiles currently in a condo that we have. I suspect that the sub-flooring had not been properly prepared prior to tile instillation and that's why it is cracking. I had planned on replacing the tile floors with laminate wood flooring, but I didn't know how it would hold up in the long-range with tenants, pets, slobs, water, scratching.... has it really remained pet-odor proof? Thanks, Chery
Posted by Chery and Juan F. R, CA on Monday, April 9, 2012
Laminate wood flooring has seams and water will find its way thru the seam. Is it the tile that's cracking or grout? If its grout, you might consider having it redone and sealed. It may be a lot cheaper.
Posted by Bob R, CA on Monday, April 9, 2012
The ceramic floor tiles are cracking smack dab in the middle of the tiles. My dad worked as a floor layer in his lifetime, so I have better than an average person's knowledge about flooring and carpeting. With 18' ceramic tiles that are cracking they way they are it's most likely that it was a DIY tile job and the sub flooring wasn't prepared properly, ie. sanding and leveling. I was interested in the laminate as a flooring option because it was recommend-ed in several real estate investment seminars as the best flooring to put in rental units. Thanks.
Posted by Chery and Juan F. R, CA on Tuesday, April 10, 2012
I have had fairly good luck with laminates. Their are some out now for slightly more that are sealed on there unfinished ends and offer a moisture warranty, I would go for one of those.
Posted by Curtis B, IN on Saturday, April 14, 2012
My lease says no dogs. My tenant however decided to get a dog stating that it was just visiting. The dog appears to be long terms. What is advise about telling tenant that dogs are not allowed. If I agree to modify the lease should I want to charge a deposit for for the dog additionally add the amount of the rent by $25.
Posted by Diane H, CA on Wednesday, April 18, 2012
I don’t understand why you would tell them that having a dog is a violation and than you want to change your position. Sign of weakness. Not good. Send them a 3 Day Perform or Quit Notice. Hopefully, you have a fine listed in your Agreement.
Posted by Bob R, CA on Tuesday, May 1, 2012
I would share my experience, my previous tenant had two dogs and two cats, On the policy we have a clause that allows the tenant to have any pets lesser than 15 pounds. My experience out of this tenant was a nightmare, I had to spend around 6500 to bring the condo back to a good condition. 1. The Pet Urine Odor and spots was so strong that i couldn't remove with bleach or vinegar. Had to sand and re coat all the hardwood flooring 2. The Bath room had to be completely re done. The Pet urine went all the way under the Vinyl and tiles and the hardwood floor, Had to remove the floor about 3 foot by 3 foot and re place with new hardwood until the stud. 3. The pet hair was every where (even inside the freezers), had to involve professional cleaners to clean all the appliances. 4. The vents were all covered with pet hair, had to get the professions to clean all the vents. 5. The corner's of the cabinets in the kitchen and the Bathroom had lot of bite marks (assume the are bite marks since looked like something was chewing on them) had to replace the cabinet on the bathroom and the kitchen (only the corner frame). 6. Had to repaint the entire house to take the smell away from the walls The tenant was not ready to pay a single dollar more than the security deposit. The security deposit barely covered 1/4 of the expenses. My experience has been bad, but i learnt a costly lesson, so my lease is getting modified with additional security deposit (for each pet) or not to include any pets altogether.
Posted by Daaku B, NJ on Thursday, August 2, 2012
Simply cleaning carpets, etc. does NOT remove the FLEAS. Only ONCE have I allowed the tenants to add a pet. Luckily, few have wanted one anyway. If I sense one might be brought on the property, not only will the rent go up more, but a PET AGREEMENT must be signed along with a non-refundable up-front fee. Cats love to rip carpet, curtains, and mark walls and furniture. Hamsters & other small critters can smell up a place, too, probably damaging paint. Dogs are great to tear up screen doors, scratch wood doors, and can ruin furniture. Cats & dogs will pee or "mark" spots, usually walls, carpeted floors, and furniture. Agreements to KEEP THEM OUTSIDE doesn't keep them outside, either. And fleas can migrate. The only dog I allowed was loved by her sons the first year, but ignored the rest of its life -- except for feeding. A lonely dog indeed,,,,
Posted by Hubert K, GA on Monday, February 11, 2013
Tell them to get rid of the dog - we have just had to spend $3000 re-carpeting a rental (the carpet was only 2 years old) because they had a "visiting" dog. Together with the other damages (holes in doors from door stops etc) we are well and truly out of pocket. Be tough or be prepared to pay up later
Posted by Amanda S, MA on Tuesday, May 6, 2014
FYI! The last new kitten I got would run and jump on the toilet every time it was flushed. She loved to watch the water swirl around. I decided to see if I could teach her to use the human toilet. I went on line and found a company by the name of "Litter Kwitter". They sell a kit with DVD instructions. Their system really works. It takes a few weeks, but totally worth the effort. When we moved in 2011, I just set the system up in the new bathroom for a couple of weeks. Best thing I ever did. Sophie is now 6 years old. I have not bought litter for her in YEARS! We smile every time we hear her in the bathroom! I wonder if we could make that part of the "Pet Addendum". We have also had every cat we owned declawed and spayed. Once those two issues are dealt with, cats are awesome pets! I know that declawing is controversial. Here is how I look at that. I am giving that creature a wonderful home. Her life with me (full time in the house) is so pampered and loving, it is worth the trade off of loosing her claws. I have the right to protect my home and other assets from destruction. She runs and plays and jumps anywhere she wants to. Critics be damned!
Posted by Charles & Linda M, MD on Thursday, May 22, 2014
I am thinking about charging 2 months security deposit instead of the ususal1 month, plus adding maybe $50 a month to the rent per pet.
Posted by Charles & Linda M, MD on Thursday, May 22, 2014
Any ideas on how to deal with a tenant that has a pet that becomes aggressive, to the point that the tenant puts a note on the door warning people about an aggressive dog?
Posted by Chris B, OR on Tuesday, October 7, 2014
Dogs are not "protected" in NJ, (no discrimination) but I would check your state laws.
Posted by William B, NJ on Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Caution on additional deposit depending on your state - here in NJ 1.5 times rent is max. We charge "additional rent" of $25 per month, per pet.
Posted by William B, NJ on Wednesday, October 8, 2014
I now have infestation of fleas and roaches from previous tenants. New tenants planned on moving in this week since last tenants just left Sunday. How much do you generally charge for dog deposit?
Posted by Betty W, NC on Tuesday, September 1, 2015
What's the most affordable way to get rid of the bug problems ?
Posted by Betty W, NC on Tuesday, September 1, 2015
I love dogs myself, but not all renters are ready for the responsibility of dog ownership. Might I add children have done more destruction & wear on my properties than any animal. I charge a minimum $300 per dog, must meet the dog prior to agreeing it can be on my property, all animals must be spayed/neutered, licensed, & all vaccinations current. All neighbors of my properties have met me, have my contact info & when a new Tenant is approved, I make the rounds again. This assures them & me that I will know the moment a situation occurs. I drive my properties weekly & at different times of the day (mornings to evenings) to be sure lawns are being kept up, notice new cars, see unauthorized pets, etc. If I stop by & I'm not invited to step in, the flags are raised. Sometimes I stop in just because rent has been on time, in full, no repair calls, etc., so I want to say thank you & make sure they don't need anything. Tenants left to their own device in some cases causes bad behavior. In 30 years, I've only had to get one person out that I leased to. He left without having to involve the court system. Communication is key & the professional forms of EzLandlord says volumes.
Posted by T M, OK on Monday, March 21, 2016
Also, insurance companies are now denying coverage for certain breeds that you may allow. Only 3 of my properties have carpet as I'm not a fan of it. That $300 non-refundable pet fee pays for steam cleaning the non-carpet floors, walls & vents or the carpet to be cleaned on BOTH sides. I always put down new pad, have my carpet cleaner clean both sides and re-install it. He also uses a cleanser approved for all carpets that will not void a carpet warranty. If there are any damages, it comes out of the deposit. Please note that I understand that pets can do a lot of damage and can be a renovation nightmare in time and money. I have a friend that a Great Dane & Rottweiler did $7000.00 worth of damage to a house by making their own door out of the utility room to the yard. They were unauthorized pets with an absent Landlord.
Posted by T M, OK on Monday, March 21, 2016
Ive done a little reading and I don't know if this applies to California my tenant moved in at the beginning of this month and now is asking to have a dog i read that if I have them give a "pet deposit", let's just say of $500, that I am only able to use up to $500 for any pet damage and that I can't take additional money from the standard deposit for pet damage? so, it's better to charge a "pet rent" and leave her initial deposit open to any damage--including pet damage? ¿
Posted by Karen M, CA on Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Ive done a little reading and I don't know if this applies to California my tenant moved in at the beginning of this month and now is asking to have a dog i read that if I have them give a "pet deposit", let's just say of $500, that I am only able to use up to $500 for any pet damage and that I can't take additional money from the standard deposit for pet damage? so, it's better to charge a "pet rent" and leave her initial deposit open to any damage--including pet damage? ¿
Posted by Karen M, CA on Tuesday, April 12, 2016
I'm fairly new to the landlord industry. After reviewing the comments I can see the variety of concerns and outcomes. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd impose upon the tenant a pet policy that strictly enforces responsible actions; 1. Quarterly inspections of the property which must require all carpeted surfaces to be professionally cleaned prior to. Proof of receipt must be provided. 2. Any wear and tear would be noted at that time (photo history of each inspection). Any conclusive evidence that the pet(s) are the source then enforce the repair(s) and the tenant becomes responsible to pay the invoice. 3. Pet must be licensed and meet required medical records with proof provided annually or semi-annually. 4. Additional monthly charge as a pet allowance beyond normal occupancy. 5. Any illicit discharges (poop) are required to be removed from property immediately as a pollutant to stormwater run-off. 6. Any violation of these actions shall have a penalty fee imposed similar to a late fee for rent. (suggested). Now maybe some of you do this or I'm just a newbie. Either you allow a pet or you do with guidelines. These are just my examples if I were to do it.
Posted by Richard B, NJ on Saturday, October 22, 2016
Our tenant just moved out (with an approved dog) and we discovered about 5 bright yellow dog urine stains on the beige carpet. Even after a professional carpet cleaning the bright stains remain. Do other landlords keep the full amount required to re-carpet the unit (downstairs) or do you keep a fraction? Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by Nancy S, CA on Saturday, January 14, 2017
In my lease agreement - I charge a non-refundable pet deposit per pet, and the max allowed is 2 pets per unit. The pet can not weigh more than 20 pounds. And Landlord must approve of the pet. Tenant must get permission if they want to get a pet during their rental time. I write in lease the description of pet/pet name. Also that landlord has the right to ask tenant to have pet removed if the pet causes disturbance to other tenants or neighbors. And last I state that any damage caused by pet where the pet deposit does not cover and security deposit does not cover tenant is financially responsible for damages /repair. I charge a non-refundable pet deposit of $450.00 to also detract people who have pets. I don't like having pets but when times are tuff in the rental market the apartment gets rented because I offer pets allowed. After reading other messages, I plan to adding to lease, that pets must have proof of shots and neutered. Make sure you get everything in writing so if you have to bring your issues to court you have that protection because tenant agreed by signing the lease. Hope this helps
Posted by Nancy R, RI on Tuesday, January 17, 2017
Nancy S - security deposit is used to cover all damages and in some cases the damage cost exceeds the amount of the security deposit. You must give the tenant a list of how the security deposit was spent and you have x amount of days to get the list to them. I think Rhode Island is 30days. I live in Rhode Island and we only give back what was not used in fixing the damages plus they also get the interest the deposit earned wile siting in bank account.
Posted by Nancy R, RI on Tuesday, January 17, 2017
Has anyone run into a situation with a tenant that requires an emotional support animal? (ESA) We don't allow animals in our duplex because of the shared walls and yard. We have a tenant that now says they need this animal. From what I can find, I am unable to require more rent or more of a deposit. This dog wont stop barking and is bothering the other tenant! What can I do?
Posted by Mary S, IL on Monday, January 30, 2017
If the dog won't stop barking treat it as a noise problem.
Posted by Scott H, VA on Friday, April 7, 2017
I charge a non refundable pet deposit and an additional charge per month for the pet to be on premises. when I rented I was charged both. and after replacing carpets in both rentals. it helps to soften the cost of replacing carpets. I only allow dogs not cats. cats can actually do more damage.
Posted by dana b, MI on Friday, May 19, 2017
Don't call it a non-refundable pet deposit. Call it a pet fee.
Posted by Scott H, VA on Friday, January 5, 2018
If you are going to change your policy of allowing pets on all future tenants, then no you are ok to not allow pets with one tenant grandfathered in prior to the change in your policy and once they move there will be no pets allowed in any unit. You will be safe under these circumstances. Just be careful you apply the no pet rule consistently in the future and you'll be within the law.
Posted by Darlene D, AZ on Sunday, June 3, 2018
If you are going to change your policy of allowing pets on all future tenants, then no you are ok to not allow pets with one tenant grandfathered in prior to the change in your policy and once they move there will be no pets allowed in any unit. You will be safe under these circumstances. Just be careful you apply the no pet rule consistently in the future and you'll be within the law.
Posted by Darlene D, AZ on Sunday, June 3, 2018
Hello, I know this thread is over eight years old but there's is common misconception running through the entire subject; The only criteria that would legally be considered "discrimination" are Race, Religion, Country of Origin, Gender, Age, Physical (not emotional) disability and Pregnancy." - That's it, that's all, nothing else. While you can be threatened, no one can seek legal action against you for issues regarding pet ownership and your property and what you decide to allow/not allow in one unit has no bearing as to what you can allow in others. Good Luck
Posted by Matthew M, IL on Tuesday, June 5, 2018
Documents related to this forum

Rent Receipt

Property Management Agreement (for Landlords)

Lease Renewal Agreement

Direct Deposit Billing Authorization

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jacob W, WI
Updated: 06/05/2018
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Thomas T, MA
Updated: 01/30/2018
Author: John h, NC
Updated: 09/21/2015
Author: Terry B, NC
Updated: 08/04/2016
Author: Scott W, VA
Updated: 01/30/2018

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
Watch our fun video about ez Landlord Forms: 'Kevin & the Lease Builder Wizard'

Feature Spotlight: Complete Landlord Forms Library

Our one-of-a-kind online library offers you 70+ property management forms addressing virtually every conceivable situation a landlord may encounter. Each and every one has been reviewed by our team attorneys or real estate experts providing you the highest quality forms available anywhere. Although it's already the most comprehensive online library of its kind, we are constantly adding new documents in response to changing regulations and feedback from our customers. See samples of all of our available documents.
Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771

We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions and to receive your feedback.

Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report. website security
ez Landlord Forms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ez Landlord Forms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2018, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program
Version: 1.248.0