Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / General Property Management / Agreed to a date to get out and now refuses to leave
I have a tenant who agreed to move out on a certain date. I have a text message as proof of the fact that he agreed to move out by this date. He now is refusing to move and is telling us to evict him. Because he agreed to move out, I already have the apartment rented for this next month so these people now have nowhere to go. Since I have proof that he agreed to move out, is there a quicker way to make him leave other than go through the full eviction process? I''m not sure if it changes things since I have proof that he agreed to move out? Thoughts? Ideas?
Jennifer N, WI on Sunday, August 29, 2010
RE: Agreed to a date to get out and now refuses to leave
I'm not sure if this is" good" advice, but I have been in a very similar situation and it was recommended to me by not only a fellow landlord but a lawyer. If you are not ready to deal with an eviction and all the $$ and headaches that go along with it you could always ask them" What will it take to get you to leave." then consider what you could pay them to get them out of your property. It was suggested to me the total of 1 months rent. The lawyer sugested I pay the cost of an eviction ( $1000 - $1500 ) I kinda thougt that was a bit steep but I suppose it depends on you'r level of desperation.
Posted by j k, MA on Friday, October 8, 2010
Documents related to this forum

Rent Receipt

Property Management Agreement (for Landlords)

Lease Renewal Agreement

Direct Deposit Billing Authorization

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jacob W, WI
Updated: 06/24/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Harold P, MO
Updated: 12/15/2021
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Jared B, UT
Updated: 11/09/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Troy D, WA
Updated: 12/09/2014
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Scott H, IA
Updated: 02/11/2012
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program