Landlord Question and Answer Forum

I have a renter who agreed to do repairs from a storm just before they moved in and deduct it from the rent. They did the repairs at a reseanable rate and time frame, but have not paid any rent since then, that was in August. I have served them the seven day notice and filed with the court for eviction and am waiting for the court date now. My question is, can i still get my money since so much time has pasted? I was in contact with them in September and they were making a deposit, but never did. I know I should have acted sooner, but I work 60hrs a week and have two kids, a husband and household to care for also. They now owe me $1300.00 including late fees. Do I still have a chance in court or is the judge going to say too bad for you?
Teri J, MI on Sunday, January 3, 2010
RE: non-payment
If there is a statute of limitations; I do not think it will apply in this case. Your tenant is still in there and anything that is owed should be able to be itemized. Be prepared to show proof of what the Tenant owes; bring all notices you have sent and dates and times of phone calls.
Posted by Denise S, PA on Monday, January 4, 2010
RE: non-payment
Thank you,I will make sure I have proof of everything. I have a court date the end of this month. I'm not sure if they have been served yet, but I have been trying to contact them to see if we could prevent going to court, but they have not answered their phone or returned my messages. When I go to the house, they do not answer the door, so that just shows me they don't care. Thanks again for the info.
Posted by Teri J, MI on Sunday, January 10, 2010
Documents related to this forum

Rent Receipt

Property Management Agreement (for Landlords)

Lease Renewal Agreement

Direct Deposit Billing Authorization

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jacob W, WI
Updated: 06/24/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Harold P, MO
Updated: 12/15/2021
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Jared B, UT
Updated: 11/09/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Troy D, WA
Updated: 12/09/2014
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Scott H, IA
Updated: 02/11/2012
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program