Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / General Property Management / Tenant Breaks Lease Before Move-In
I am in California and about to lease my home. I have an applicant who cannot move in for 3 weeks. They have just sold their home, but all of the contingencies will not be lifted for 19 days. While they are not concerned about their buyer qualifying for a loan and getting a good appraisal on their home, I am concerned, given the current lending environment, that they could decide not to proceed with leasing my home days before the scheduled move-in. If I have a signed lease and a deposit, if they default on my lease, can I deduct lost rent from the date they were supposed to occupy the home until I get new tenants moved in?
Christine H, CA on Monday, November 2, 2009
RE: Tenant Breaks Lease Before Move-In
Yes you can.
Posted by Donna , NC on Tuesday, November 3, 2009
RE: Tenant Breaks Lease Before Move-In
Loss rent is not tax deductable. What I would do is require them to pay 2 months security deposit upon signing. If they don't pay rent on the due date, give them a 3-day Notice to pay or quit. If they don't pay within 3 days, start the eviction process.
Posted by Stan M, CA on Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Documents related to this forum

Rent Receipt

Property Management Agreement (for Landlords)

Lease Renewal Agreement

Direct Deposit Billing Authorization

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jacob W, WI
Updated: 06/24/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Harold P, MO
Updated: 12/15/2021
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Jared B, UT
Updated: 11/09/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Troy D, WA
Updated: 12/09/2014
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Scott H, IA
Updated: 02/11/2012
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program