Start a new topic

landscape damage

My tenants from lack of watering have allowed the landscaping to die, that includes a large portion of the lawn, a number of trees, scrubs and bushes. I live several hundred miles from the property and was unaware of the damage until recently. What is the law regarding liability by the tenants, the house is in southern california.

This is an excellent and very timely question! I am sorry that you have this loss, and have a few questions. What is in the lease about maintaining the property, particularly the landscaping? As always, the lease is the first plcae to look. Please post what you find and we will go from there.
This has come full circle with the Florida drought.  The yard of my property is dead.  I have gotten quotes for resod which are upward of $5k & I have a tenant $1500 deposit.  I have to decide to keep the deposit and eat the rest or take the tenant to court.  They have already hired an attorney to get their deposit back.    The property management company is telling me that I'm responsible to hire an attorney, but isn't it their responsibility to enforce the lease agreement?  The lease agreement states:   "You must maintain the lawn and other vegetation in as good or better condition as at the beginning of the lease, including watering, mowing, trimming, and fertilizing as required."   I have video evidence of before and current condition.
This has come full circle with the Florida drought.  The yard of my property is dead.  I have gotten quotes for resod which are upward of $5k & I have a tenant $1500 deposit.  I have to decide to keep the deposit and eat the rest or take the tenant to court.  They have already hired an attorney to get their deposit back.    The property management company is telling me that I'm responsible to hire an attorney, but isn't it their responsibility to enforce the lease agreement?  The lease agreement states:   "You must maintain the lawn and other vegetation in as good or better condition as at the beginning of the lease, including watering, mowing, trimming, and fertilizing as required."   I have video evidence of before and current condition.
Login to post a comment