Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / General Property Management / Tenant wants to move parents in to garage
I have tenants in home in TX since 10/2018. She called today and said her dad is being evicted from his home and is going to need to move in with them for a while. Said he would stay in extra bedroom during the winter, and then move a window unit (a/c) in to the garage during the summer. I am not sure on the laws/rules on this. Will homeowners policy allow for someone to live in garage. Can I up the rent for an additional tenant now occupying the home? I am not thrilled about them just deciding to add 1 more tenant to the home, but am unsure of the laws on this
Jennifer M, TX on Thursday, November 8, 2018
RE: Tenant wants to move parents in to garage
In CA you cannot just have another person occupy the home. If you use this website for your contract it should state the occupants, names etc. If they have done this, without written consent they are in violation of your contract. After only being there 1 month I think this is a problematic tenant. Serve them notice if they don't comply I would evict them. As for the garage idea, you need to consult what city/county code are, etc. Some cities may fine you if the neighbors turn you in. (Stay on your neighbors good side they are your eyes & ears) Personally I wouldn't allow it.
Posted by Pat & Lee A, CA on Monday, November 26, 2018
RE: Tenant wants to move parents in to garage
Why they want to do this?
Posted by Katy S, AB on Wednesday, December 5, 2018
RE: Tenant wants to move parents in to garage
I'd probably go with telling them that he can't live in the garage. If he wants to stay in the bedroom I'd increase the rent maybe $100 or 10% to cover additional wear and tear.
Posted by Scott H, VA on Wednesday, December 5, 2018
Documents related to this forum

Rent Receipt

Property Management Agreement (for Landlords)

Lease Renewal Agreement

Direct Deposit Billing Authorization

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jacob W, WI
Updated: 06/24/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Harold P, MO
Updated: 12/15/2021
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Jared B, UT
Updated: 11/09/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Troy D, WA
Updated: 12/09/2014
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Scott H, IA
Updated: 02/11/2012
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program