Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / General Property Management / security deposit & first month's rent
my tenants are moving in on the 25th of july and i have scheduled the lease signing and walk-through of my house on the 19th. At what point (date) do I obtain the security deposit and first month's rent from them (when I say first month's rent, I am including the pro-rated rent for the remainder of July also, in addition to the entire rent for August)?
Desi 1, GA on Monday, June 29, 2009
RE: security deposit & first month's rent
Rule of thumb: Collect all that is due on or before lease signing! When I have a pro rated rent situation, I usually ask for that as well as the first months rent in advance. There are no steadfast rules in this though. Some landlords will collect the full months rent in advance (Aug) and have the tenant pay the pro-rate on Aug 1. Or collect everything but the prorated rent and have that due on Aug first. If you have done the due diligence and are comfortable that the tenant will pay; use your discretion.
Posted by Donna , NC on Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Rule of thumb: Collect all that is due on or before lease signing! When I have a pro rated rent situation, I usually ask for that as well as the first months rent in advance. There are no steadfast rules in this though. Some landlords will collect the full months rent in advance (Aug) and have the tenant pay the pro-rate on Aug 1. Or collect everything but the prorated rent and have that due on Aug first. If you have done the due diligence and are comfortable that the tenant will pay; use your discretion.
Posted by Donna , NC on Tuesday, June 30, 2009
I need a security deposit and first month rent form so my applicatent could take it in for assistance
Posted by angela s, OK on Monday, September 21, 2009
Documents related to this forum

Rent Receipt

Email-able

Rent Receipt

This standard rent receipt records every aspect of a tenant’s payment, including amount, payment type, and date. Also includes memo space for individualized record-keeping.
Document Features
  • Email-able
Tooltip Side Arrow

Property Management Agreement (for Landlords)

Auto-fill Document Email-able Editable

Property Management Agreement (for Landlords)

This form, executed between the owner and property manager, outlines the responsibilities of each party and the agreed-upon fee structure.
with State Assist guidelines
Document Features
  • Auto-fill Document
  • Email-able
  • Editable
Tooltip Side Arrow

Lease Renewal Agreement

Auto-fill Document Works with Window Envelopes Email-able Custom Logo Compatible Editable

Lease Renewal Agreement

This Premium Lease Renewal Agreement will allow you to extend your current rental situation while editing terms or keeping them the same.
Document Features
  • Auto-fill Document
  • Works with Window Envelopes
  • Email-able
  • Custom Logo Compatible
  • Editable
Tooltip Side Arrow

Direct Deposit Billing Authorization

Email-able

Direct Deposit Billing Authorization

This document asks for the tenants authorization to automatically debit a tenants' bank account for the rent each month.
Document Features
  • Email-able
Tooltip Side Arrow
Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jacob W, WI
Updated: 05/22/2014
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Scott W, VA
Updated: 03/30/2014
Author: Thomas T, MA
Updated: 01/03/2012
Author: Aaron R, NY
Updated: 06/06/2012
Author: Amy F, IA
Updated: 02/11/2012

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Select Your State

Select your state to begin using our exclusive State Assist features and to see State-Specific forms:
Outside the U.S.? Click here.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords!
More Info
The EZ Landlord Forms team gives advice to first-time landlords on Designing Spaces!

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Ontario
North Carolina
Virginia
Washington
Texas
Need Help? If you cannot find answers to your questions on our website, you can contact ezLandlordForms for support.
Feedback and Comments Have Comments About This Page?  Send Feedback
Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report. website security
ez Landlord Forms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ez Landlord Forms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2014, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program