Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / General Property Management / Writ of Possession-LLkeeps personal property
Researching Writs of Possession, Texas Title 6, Unclaimed Property. I understand that I, the LL, can accompany the deputy to forcibly remove Tennants & that I can choose to take Tennants personal possessions in lieu of unpaid rent, legal fees, etc. But, I don't see any rules about my procedure from then on out. Anyone know where to find them, or what they are?
Robert B, TX on Wednesday, April 1, 2009
RE: Writ of Possession-LLkeeps personal property
Robert, You have to be very careful with this. There are many exemptions to the rule and specific procedures must be followed or you can find yourself in trouble. There is some information at the link below. http://houston-evictions.com/tenantAbandonLaw.cfm
Posted by Donna , NC on Thursday, April 2, 2009
Thanks. That was extremely useful. I already knew most of it, but I'm still researching details. I'm a new LL, thrust into it in the midst of a divorce and an economy too bad to sell my extra home. It's in a location so awful, there is no way I can attract quality tenants. The home was occupied when I 'inherited' it & after 3 months, its abandoned again. I'm starting to learn the game of these dead-beats who can't pay their rent. They say they'll move, and then either don't, or they take all the time they want in getting out. And in the mean-time, they don't call, won't answer their phones, won't answer the door if they're there, don't pick up registered letter from you at the post office. Until the neighborhood improves, I cannot attract quality renters. Therefore, I have decided to deal with them on their own terms. Even the poorest of poor gather electronics. I have seen it for years. Children whose parents are on food stamps and welfare have their own remote control T.V.s.
Posted by Robert B, TX on Thursday, April 2, 2009
People like this already have really bad credit. If they fall more than a little bit behind, they can't ever make it up. Most of them even already have arrest records. They are transients, of a sort, moving every year or two..or less. I can't find them to sue them. I can't damage their credit. My last tenants began ignoring the lease before they even moved in, & broke it in several ways. None of them were major enough for me to spend $500 getting them out of the house, though.
I'm changing my lease now. If it doesn't work, I can easily change it back when another tenant moves in. It imposes fines for various infractions. Most are small, around $25. Only two are large- the unauthorized pet and unauthorized tenant sections. And, because the tenants I'm attracting seem to have a need to move out & use my house for storage, at my expense, I've decided to let them know that I WILL be reclaiming my money, and likely with their favorite stuff. If anyone has any links regarding imposing fines in Texas, please post. I don't want to do anything illegal. I just want to protect myself. Thanks.
Documents related to this forum

Rent Receipt

Email-able

Rent Receipt

This standard rent receipt records every aspect of a tenant’s payment, including amount, payment type, and date. Also includes memo space for individualized record-keeping.
with State Assist guidelines
Document Features
  • Email-able
Tooltip Side Arrow

Property Management Agreement (for Landlords)

Auto-fill Document Email-able Editable

Property Management Agreement (for Landlords)

This is a contract executed between a landlord and a property manager, outlining the responsibilities of each party and the agreed-upon fee structure.
with State Assist guidelines
Document Features
  • Auto-fill Document
  • Email-able
  • Editable
Tooltip Side Arrow

Lease Renewal Agreement

Auto-fill Document Works with Window Envelopes Email-able Custom Logo Compatible Editable

Lease Renewal Agreement

This Premium Lease Renewal Agreement will allow you to extend your current rental situation while editing terms or keeping them the same.
Document Features
  • Auto-fill Document
  • Works with Window Envelopes
  • Email-able
  • Custom Logo Compatible
  • Editable
Tooltip Side Arrow

Direct Deposit Billing Authorization

Email-able

Direct Deposit Billing Authorization

This document asks for the tenants authorization to automatically debit a tenants' bank account for the rent each month.
Document Features
  • Email-able
Tooltip Side Arrow
Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jacob W, WI
Updated: 02/11/2013
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Amy F, IA
Updated: 02/11/2012
Author: Aaron R, NY
Updated: 06/06/2012
Author: Thomas T, MA
Updated: 01/03/2012
Author: Scott W, VA
Updated: 03/30/2014

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Select Your State

Select your state to begin using our exclusive State Assist features and to see State-Specific forms:
Outside the U.S.? Click here.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords!
More Info
The EZ Landlord Forms team gives advice to first-time landlords on Designing Spaces!

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Colorado
Maryland
Maryland
Washington
Florida
Need Help? If you cannot find answers to your questions on our website, you can contact ezLandlordForms for support.
Feedback and Comments Have Comments About This Page?  Send Feedback
Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report. website security
ez Landlord Forms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ez Landlord Forms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2014, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program