Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / General Property Management / Lenght of time to file in small claims for unpaid rent, damages, etc.
Hello all... I recently filed a small claims case against ex-renters within a year's time of their departure. I understood that I had to file within one-year's time to collect past-due rent and had seven years to collect for damages. Armed with that information, from the owner of a local property management company, I filed three-days before my year's statute was up. Confirmed verbally by a court clerk, I was told that as long as I filed within that year's time they could be served after that year's time, which is what happened. When we showed-up to pre-trial mediation, the ex-renters claimed an attorney told them they had to be served as well before that year's statute time which is contrary to everything I've been told. Not being able to find any statutes specifying that, I'm posting the question here before we go to trial in about a month's time.
S A, OR on Saturday, January 24, 2015
RE: Lenght of time to file in small claims for unpaid rent, damages, etc.
Well I am not completely sure on Oregon law but knowing that I had to do just this a year ago I found some links with law, this one was Oregon's I hope this helps. http://www.smallclaims.com/?cat=40 Good Luck!
Posted by Patty H, on Monday, January 26, 2015
RE: Lenght of time to file in small claims for unpaid rent, damages, etc.
Hi Patty, thank you. I had previously found that site but I'm just having a heck of a time finding a specific statute for whether or not a party can be filed-apon within a year's time, or if they have to be served within a year's time, having to do with monetary/rent issues. I know the general statute is a year, but in civil mediation they claimed I had no suit because they were served about a week after a year's time had passed. So, I'm still searching...
Posted by S A, OR on Monday, January 26, 2015
Documents related to this forum

Rent Receipt

Property Management Agreement (for Landlords)

Lease Renewal Agreement

Direct Deposit Billing Authorization

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jacob W, WI
Updated: 06/24/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Harold P, MO
Updated: 12/15/2021
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Jared B, UT
Updated: 11/09/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Troy D, WA
Updated: 12/09/2014
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Scott H, IA
Updated: 02/11/2012
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program