Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Tenant Screening/Advertising / Tenant Applications - Storing
Are there any legal requirements for storing an application for either an accepted application or one that was rejected? eg. Can I shred the applications that I have rejected once I have accepted an applicant? I don't like keeping these around but I'm not sure if there any legal requirements in Pennsylvania regarding this?
John M, PA on Thursday, March 31, 2011
RE: Tenant Applications - Storing
I don't know of any requirements, although it's definitely a good idea to keep the accepted application on file so you have a record of their assets (in case you have to collect from them), and you should keep rejected applications on file for a couple months in case you're sued and you need to prove you didn't discriminate.
Posted by Ralph F, CA on Monday, April 4, 2011
Documents related to this forum

Free Rental Application (Handwrite-In)

Rental History Inquiry

Employment Verification

Rental Application Approval

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Elizabeth G, TX
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Rhonda D, PA
Updated: 04/07/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Jason D, FL
Updated: 12/27/2011
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: PASunrise P, NJ
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Michae&Megan B, IL
Updated: 04/18/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Feature Spotlight: Document Manager

Tap into the power and convenience of our Document Manager, an all-in-one online management system for your property management documents.
  • Your rental documents stay safe, organized, and secure on our state-of-the-art servers
  • No software to download, no learning curve, and no risk of loss or damage
  • Eliminate the time and effort of typing, copying, and creating documents from scratch

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program