Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Tenant Screening/Advertising / Section 8 tenants
What is your experience/feelings on Section 8 tenants? I have heard a lot on both sides from Realtors and Property Managers but not much from the investors perspective. What say you?
Stuart P, AZ on Friday, November 19, 2010
RE: Section 8 tenants
I don't like Section 8. You completely give up control over the amount of rent (they just lowered the rent on one of my rental units by $200/month), and they require an annual inspection. I can assure you, they WILL find violations to write up in every annual inspection, because that's how the inspectors show the bureaucracy that they're doing their job. It cost me about $1,000/year to repair the "violations" they would find, which was the entirety of my cash flow for the year on that property, and then you run the risk that they'll stop paying you rent while you do these frivolous repairs. Then there's the fact that the tenant may not be there to let the inspectors in... trust me, it's just not worth it.
Posted by Ralph F, CA on Monday, November 22, 2010
I tried section 8 and got the tenants from hell. They trashed the house, punched holes in the walls and doors, distroyed the carpeting, set fire to the house, ran the tank out of oil in the middle of the winter so that there was no heat. The pipes froze, and when then thawed, shooting water everywhere, causing more thousands in damages. 25,000 in damages and the state would only stand good for one month rent to go towards damages. I could go on, but you get the idea. I will never use section 8 again.
Posted by Robert S, NJ on Wednesday, March 23, 2011
First of all the phrase, "section 8 tenants" is a generalization and is the same as saying "Americans", "athletes", etc. Secondly, section eight rates are on the high end of competitive rental rates and if they lowered your payments, than you were charging to much. Also if an apartment is well kept, inspectors are normally pretty understanding and will pass the apartment with few update. Lastly, I would like to point out that if you do a proper backround check and regularly inspect properties, odds are the tenants that are approved will not do very much damage.
Posted by Jesse F, AR on Wednesday, March 23, 2011
I'm not really excited about the idea of inspections and additional paperwork to collect rent. Is it legal to deny section 8 applicants?
Posted by Brenda W, OH on Saturday, April 9, 2011
It is illegal to discriminate against section8. However, you can explain to prospective tenants that approval just like with all your prospects, is contingent on the credit and background checks.
Posted by Eliezer L, CA on Friday, April 29, 2011
DONT DO IT! Unless you are lucky, the people on Section 8 are on it for a reason. It is ususally not because they are on hard times. They are like welfare, on it and going to stay on it! They do not care about your property or the fact that they are destructive. They do not teach their children respect and more times than not, you will have to make major repairs to your property when they move out. About the inspections, the inspectors will make you repair items that the tenants have ruined, broke or removed even though it was in good condition when they made the last insepction. The problem is the tenant is not cleaning or caring for the unit. Their destruction is your problem and you financially have to correct it. Section 8 tenants do not have to pay for any damage while they live there, you do.
Posted by Cheryl M, KS on Thursday, June 2, 2011
I have three section 8 tenants and just added a fourth. Some have been here over a decade and I never eve notice them. I honestly must admit I was seeing the disasters others have had with section 8 but we have been extremely happy with it. I admit one elderly lady is a nuisance but she has no family and just wants attention. The checks come like clockwork in my mailbox on the second of every month and pays MORE than some of my other tenants who have longevity ( and hence low rents) and even when you go to evict a section 8 person they keep paying you DURING the eviction process ( as long as the tenant is still in the unit)
Posted by Jonathan C, NJ on Sunday, June 5, 2011
know of ways or reasons to increase rent on section 8?
Posted by scott c, OH on Tuesday, June 7, 2011
The Check does come on time each month from the County. I have also received the Check from the Tenant on time so far. The probably I have even after a background check, is the other people they let move it, after the fact. Which is NOT part of the Lease. Not to mention even after the background check, never knew a person was actually approved to live with the tenant until i received approval from Section 8 they were good to go. After waiting when I accepted the Application I had to do another background check pretty much start over. After asking the tenant why the other person was not disclosed the anser was that they shouldn have to disclose since Section 8 was paying me most of the rent. I explained that is NOT the case, its my property & section 8 doenst pay for damages, repairs, maintenance, etc. The other issue Ive been having is that they do not like to take care of the yard maintence, even after I gave them the option , if they were not able to do the yard work I would have it done every 2 wks for only $50.00 SINCE Im not trying to over charge, which it really should be more for trimming, prunning, weeds, etc. I guess its 50/50 in any situation., Back ground check, credit check, references is the best way for any tenant. Its not so much with the Section 8, its everyone.
Posted by MELANIE T, MD on Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Hey Melanie in MD - You must put these as 'terms of your lease' eg no occupants not on lease and must maintain yard etc and when they do not comply with the lease terms you EVICT for cause. The cool thing about section 8 is they keeep paying you during the eviction process. After you evict get another section 8 but be more dilligent in your interwview process before picking which section 8 tenant you want - after all you probably have hundreds on a list in your area to choose from -0 its NOT about the background check alone - its about you interviewing and selecting th RIGHT one - not the first one they send.,.,.
Posted by Jonathan C, NJ on Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Hey Scott C in Ohio - Just ask! If you want a section 8 increse call their office and just tell them that. You must give them the name and contract date of your section 8 tenant and they will tell you when you can get an incerase and how much ( unless you are already at the max)
Posted by Jonathan C, NJ on Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Being a new landlord because of the property value decreases (couldn't sell for a loss), I went with a section 8 applicant that seemed like a good risk. Checked her references and even spoke with her current landlord. She was only moving because she had a new baby and needed a 2 bedroom with washer and dryer which I have. Her share of the rent was only $89 so I figured no problem. During the year and a half she was there, she was always late on her share and I got numerous letters from the condo association about violations plus complaints from my previous neighbors about noise and fights. She had to pay her own utilities which got shut off regularly for non-payment (not good for furnished refrigerator or mildewing clothes in my washer). During her first inspection by section 8, there were busted doors, walls, and mirrors that she was responsible for repairing or replacing. I loaned her the money to fix the items as I didn't want to have to lose the rent and have to fix the damage myself anyway. She didn't repay all the loan and then bailed without notice about 4 months later. When I entered the unit the real horror story began. 4 doors missing and 4 more damaged to the point of must be replaced. Shower massage, and 6 built-in shelves all stolen. Brick tiles in front of the fire place broken. Walls painted in black and white tile pattern. Garbage and filth everywhere. I've already taken 4 truck loads to Goodwill and filled a dumpster with garbage. Her $700 deposit will not even cover the back rent and section 8 terminated her contract because her where-bouts are unknown. Now I'm out big money by trying to help her and just got the shaft in the end. Maybe they are not all like this but my first experience has not been very positive.
Posted by Jeffrey J, NV on Saturday, August 6, 2011
Knock on wood...I've had really good success with my Section 8 tenants. I've read the horror stories from above. I've been a investor for 3 years and I own 10 properties and 4 are on section 8. I do an extensive background ck which includes criminal & credit on all my tenants. I collect my rent the old fashion way; i go door to door; this gives me an opportunity to visually look around while there writing the check and i ask them if there is any maintenance issues that need addressing. By doing this you want fail on the yearly inspections that are required from HUD.
Posted by Tonya R, NC on Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Amen! They find stuff to write you up! Even stuff that was damaged by tenants and never told to you before the inspection. The tenant need to be accountable for destroying our properties! I completely rehab everything before they move in and they destroy it! No pride! Yes they just reduced rent alot! I agree with everthing the Robert and Brian.
Posted by SHERYL J, CA on Thursday, September 15, 2011
Oh, I had my experience with an section 8 tenant and it was a mess, then annual inspection is another way for them to spend more money then needed. I had done the repairs that was ask of me and how but when I did a $25 increase the tenant moved out, because she did not want to pay it. You don't figure!!!
Posted by sonia b, TX on Friday, November 4, 2011
Now they call section 8 HAP Housing Assistance Program. There has to be some good tenants out there on assistance but I sure have not had good luck. Yes you loose control, single women move in their unemployed criminal boyfriends and MAMas are the worst. Their adult boys are angels with just bad luck. Daughters bring in even more unemployed men. They are not on the lease and not supposed to live there but they do with no thought for utilities. It is no wonder there is a 20% premiem for these people. They need baby sitters and an in house maintenance man like they had at the apartments section 8 apartments. I AM SERIOUS THESE PEOPLE NEED ADULT SUPERVISION THAT APARTMENT COMPLEXES SUPPLY. it hurts to see the wasted tax dollars. Everybody deserves a chance but a lifetime of hand-outs? Not for me. I do feel sorry for the kids but they only know and do what they see...
Posted by dennis a, TX on Monday, November 14, 2011
we re in prep stage of our first sect 8 whooosh after reading- I will do an extensive background check for sure wowowow
Posted by RichDeid Properties LLC , GA on Sunday, April 15, 2012
I rented to a section 8 people, this is my first time renting to these people and i tried calling the office that runs section 8 and they never return my calls. My question is do these people are obigated to pay the utility bill for exampole the trash bill which is now 5 months pass due and i'm getting letters from the Waste Management people??
Posted by Alejandro M, CA on Sunday, April 15, 2012
@ Alejandro - who are you referring to with "these people.....?"
Posted by Bob R, CA on Tuesday, May 1, 2012
yes I have had properties trash from section 8.most of them have done that to me.i am stricker about screening now.write them up for everything they do,heres a secret! ride them hard! do inspections,write them up for everything they do wrong! THEY WILL LOOSE THEIR BENNIFITS FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WRITE THEM UP AND TURN COPIES OF EVERYTHING IN TO HUD OFFICE AND HAVE MEETINGS WITH SOCIAL WORKERS!!! THEY WILL LOOSE IT FOREVER!!!!!!! SCUMLORDS AND SLACKLORDS LET THEM GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING!
Posted by SHERYL J, CA on Tuesday, May 1, 2012
HINT! HINT! HINT! WRITE THEM UP FOR EVERYTHING!!!! MAKE SURE TO TURN ALL COPIES INTO HUD OFFICE AND KEEP YOUR OWN COPIES AS WELL!!!! THEY ARE HELD TO STRICK RULES!,BUT IF THE SCUMLORDS AND SLUMLORDS DONT STOP THIS BEHAVIOR! THEY GET AWAY WITH ALOT! MAKE THEM ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR BAD BEHAVIORS! REPORT THEM OVER AND OVER TO HUD! THEY WILL LOOSE THE BENNIFITS FOREVER!!!!!!!!
MAKE POLICE REPORTS,ETC. FOR THE PEOPLE WHOM PARTY ALL NIGHT AND KEEP NEIGHBORS UP! GIVE YOUR BUSINESS CARD TO THE NEIGHBORS,ASK THEM TO CALL YOU WHEN THEIR IS A PROBLEM! ASKE THEM TO CAL THE POLICE WHEN THEY PARTY ALL NIGHT! THIS IS A VIOLTION TO DISTURB THE NEIGHBORS!!!! THEY CAN LOOSE THE BENNIFITS FOREVER!!!! HELP FIGHT FRAUD!!!!! THEY SYSTEM IS BEING ABUSED WE LANDLORDS CAN GET THEM KICKED OFF AND SAME MONEY FOR OUR TAX DOLLARS. IT SHOULD BE FOR PEOPLE TO GIVE A HELPING HAND NOT A LIFE TIME OF SUPPORT BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO WORK! PLEASE HELP ALL AMERICAN TAX PAYERS!!!! TURN THEM IN! SLUMLORDS DONT CARE IF THEY GET RENT THEY DONT CARE! PLEASE MAKE A DIFFERENCE! TAKE CONTROL OVER THEM!!!! THEY HAVE STRICKED RULES TO LIVE BY! LEARN THEM AND WRITE THEM UP AND REPORT THEM! PLEASE HELP WITH THIS ???????
MAKE POLICE REPORTS,ETC. FOR THE PEOPLE WHOM PARTY ALL NIGHT AND KEEP NEIGHBORS UP! GIVE YOUR BUSINESS CARD TO THE NEIGHBORS,ASK THEM TO CALL YOU WHEN THEIR IS A PROBLEM! ASKE THEM TO CAL THE POLICE WHEN THEY PARTY ALL NIGHT! THIS IS A VIOLTION TO DISTURB THE NEIGHBORS!!!! THEY CAN LOOSE THE BENNIFITS FOREVER!!!! HELP FIGHT FRAUD!!!!! THEY SYSTEM IS BEING ABUSED WE LANDLORDS CAN GET THEM KICKED OFF AND SAME MONEY FOR OUR TAX DOLLARS. IT SHOULD BE FOR PEOPLE TO GIVE A HELPING HAND NOT A LIFE TIME OF SUPPORT BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO WORK! PLEASE HELP ALL AMERICAN TAX PAYERS!!!! TURN THEM IN! SLUMLORDS DONT CARE IF THEY GET RENT THEY DONT CARE! PLEASE MAKE A DIFFERENCE! TAKE CONTROL OVER THEM!!!! THEY HAVE STRICKED RULES TO LIVE BY! LEARN THEM AND WRITE THEM UP AND REPORT THEM! PLEASE HELP WITH THIS ???????
Is Section 8 kicking your butt? Are you sick of the rules, inspections, loss of control, and the types of tenants that section 8 brings you? Are you tired of repairing what the last sec. 8 tenant destroyed just to rent it to another sec 8 tenant who will do the same? Get out of this vicious cycle today!! We can help. We willt purchase ALL of your properties today! Any Area ; Any Condiotion! Call us NOW!! 866-879-2450
Posted by Cosby C, IL on Wednesday, May 2, 2012
And who are you?
Posted by Bob R, CA on Wednesday, May 2, 2012
I have 4 units. 2 of which are section 8. Both keep the place nicer and cleaner than my own house. Both do NOT bother me with phone calls. Both are proactive wtih the property, like using a drain cleaner to clear a clog before calling me. Of the four tenants, I sleep very soundly when it comes to the two section 8 tenants.
Posted by Andrew R, UT on Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Another thing, the inspectors are awesome. Pass me everytime because the tenants love me so much, yet I do so little. In the end, they are happy to see a landlord that listens and repairs issues in a timely manner.
Posted by Andrew R, UT on Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Hot Topic :-) Sec 8 has changed the way they do business. Once upon a time tenants only had to contribute an amount = to their rent toward sec.dpst. As of approx 10 yrs ago, sec. 8 tenants must pay the full amount. HUD only guarantees the rent, now. In other words, you need to treat sec 8 tenants as you would treat any other tenant. HUD also make sure that tenants/landlords honor the contract. If HUD dings a landlord, it’s probably due to a health/safety issue. If tenant does any damage, HUD makes note of damage and notifies landlord. It’s up to landlord to have tenant make the correction. HUD rents are usually the same as rents in the area. However, if you make major improvements, you can request more rent. Sheryl’s statement “SLUMLORDS DONT CARE IF THEY GET RENT“ and “SCUMLORDS AND SLACKLORDS LET THEM GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING! “ – Hmmm. If Sheryl is having so much trouble with sec 8, maybe she should review her evaluation process. I’ve dealt w/HUD for over 25 yrs and my experience has been no different than dealing w/non-Sec 8 tenants. Today’s Sec 8 tenants have to think twice since they are required to put up the full amount of Sec.Dpst in addition to losing their voucher if they do not pay landlord for damages. --------Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with this EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Posted by Bob R, CA on Thursday, May 3, 2012
VERY hepful Bob. I will let you know how it goes. Still in process of accepting Sec8 Tenants
Posted by RichDeid Properties LLC , GA on Friday, May 4, 2012
@RichDeid - if you go with sec 8 keep this in mind. When tenants let you know that they are moving, do a pre-inspection. Send a copy of the needed repairs to tenant and HUD Rep. If tenant does not make repairs or pays you for damage repairs, HUD will not offer assistance for tenant to move into a new rental. In other words, tenant will not be able to continue with HUD until you are made whole. -------- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with this EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Posted by Bob R, CA on Saturday, May 5, 2012
Your comments are very helpful; I read them on a variety topics posted. thank you
Posted by RichDeid Properties LLC , GA on Monday, May 7, 2012
Did not know that about pre-inspection with hud tenants thanks bob. I agree with you I have had the same general luck with section 8 tenants and regular ones. It is nice to know that at least hud's portion of rent will be there every month.
Posted by Curtis B, IN on Monday, May 7, 2012
@ Curtis - pre-inspection is not a HUD thing. As a landlord I have the right to conduct one, especially if I helping the tenant { :-) } possibly saving some deposit by letting them know what needs to be taken care of before they move. The important thing here is to see what repairs are needed. Than send a copy to tenant and HUD. HUD will not authorize another property until current landlord is made whole.----- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with this EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Posted by Bob R, CA on Monday, May 7, 2012
I can see both sides of the spectrum on this topic. Growing up, my mother was a single woman with 4 kids and no college education. Yes, we were on section 8 and food stamps - sometimes welfare (cash assistance) too. I remember how hard it was to find landlords that were willing to work with Section 8 tenants, although my mother worked very hard to make sure our home was safe and clean, and rent paid. However, I also know many situations where people abuse the system and have totally trashed their rental while being on Section 8. This, naturally, makes landlords shy away from Section 8 tenants. I have to agree with sever of the posts that I have read here - SCREENING is the best way to select a tenant. I am new to being a landlord, but I an friends/relatives with people who have been landlords for a long time. They have instilled in me the importance of pre-screening tenants. I currently use a company called E-Renter (www.e-renter.com) and I'm happy with them. They offered me a good piece of advice as well. When calling previous landlords, don;t just call the landlord for the rental that the tenant is currently living in. Call the past 2-3 landlords. If you only call the current landlord for a reference, then you may get duped. If the tenant is giving the current landlord trouble, then that landlord may just giving a raving reference JUST to get the tenant out of their rental unit without the costs of eviction. I thought that was note worthy.
Posted by Marybeth O, OR on Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Section 8 also known as "Housing Choice Voucher" is a wonderful program that allows families who are struggling to help pay their rent in this hard economy. I manage 425 units and over half are Section 8 participants. Do I have my issues with some of the tenants? Sure I do, but I also have the same issues with those who do not receive Section 8. Wish I had read more positive responses to this question. Section 8 guarantees the rent should the tenant lose their income, they do an annual inspection to inform you of what they find, they also assist with referrals to lease your apartments. Screening is the key! Some of my best residents are on Section 8 rental assistance program.
Posted by Donna O, NY on Tuesday, October 23, 2012
I'm so happy I scrolled to the end to read some of the more positive responses to this post. Granted it is quite old but this is still a very relevant topic. I believe the biggest misconception about the program is that the owner/landlord is "not in control" when they are! You should treat applicants fortunate enought to have a housing choice voucher aka section 8 the same as any other applicant/tenant. It should also be noted that contrary to popular belief the recipients are not screened for suitability as a tenant as part of the determination process when receiving the voucher. That is totally up to the landlord. I would strongly encourage any owner/agent/investor interested in leasing to a voucher holder to request a briefing with the local housing authority prior to making a decision about becoming a landlord. Most Public Housing Authorities (PHA's) offer them on a regular basis and they are FREE. Being informed and understanding the process will make all the difference in the world. There are some great participants that will make great leaseholds. Don't rule this program out!
Posted by Cindy B, DC on Thursday, April 25, 2013
Documents related to this forum

Free Rental Application (Handwrite-In)

Email-able State-Specific

Free Rental Application (Handwrite-In)

The rental application is the landlord’s best tool for making good decisions about prospective tenants, try EZ Landlord's new form!
with State Assist guidelines
Document Features
  • Email-able
  • State-Specific
Tooltip Side Arrow

Rental History Inquiry

Auto-fill Document Works with Window Envelopes Email-able Custom Logo Compatible

Rental History Inquiry

This ezLandlordForms Premium Rental History Inquiry form will allow the landlord to obtain information about applicants previous rental history.
Document Features
  • Auto-fill Document
  • Works with Window Envelopes
  • Email-able
  • Custom Logo Compatible
Tooltip Side Arrow

Employment Verification

Auto-fill Document Email-able Editable

Employment Verification

Use this straightforward form to help you learn more about your rental applicant’s employment history and income.
Document Features
  • Auto-fill Document
  • Email-able
  • Editable
Tooltip Side Arrow

Rental Application Approval

Auto-fill Document Email-able Editable

Rental Application Approval

Did your potential tenant meet all of your application requirements? Give them the good news with this straightforward ezLandlord Forms's Rental Application Approval.
with State Assist guidelines
Document Features
  • Auto-fill Document
  • Email-able
  • Editable
Tooltip Side Arrow
Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Ying H, CA
Updated: 11/09/2013
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Matthew J, OH
Updated: 05/08/2013
Author: Wilson C, CA
Updated: 01/02/2012
Author: Jason D, FL
Updated: 12/27/2011
Author: Phil P, TX
Updated: 04/11/2014

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Select Your State

Select your state to begin using our exclusive State Assist features and to see State-Specific forms:
Outside the U.S.? Click here.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords!
More Info
The EZ Landlord Forms team gives advice to first-time landlords on Designing Spaces!

Buzz About ezLandlordForms

ActiveRain Logo  says:
"very robust and user friendly"
— Brad Andsersohn, Community Builder
Need Help? If you cannot find answers to your questions on our website, you can contact ezLandlordForms for support.
Feedback and Comments Have Comments About This Page?  Send Feedback
Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report. website security
ez Landlord Forms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ez Landlord Forms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2014, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program