Start a new topic
Answered

Permanent Housing Vouchers

I'm renting my condo this summer and had someone inquire if I accept a Permanent Housing Voucher through Eden.  I'm not sure what that is entirely, but my question is:  Do I have to accept a Permanent Housing Voucher?  Am I allowed to say no that I do not accept those?    Thank you Jill From Ohio

Best Answer

Hello Jill from Ohio!

A Permanent Housing Voucher is a type of rental assistance provided by the federal government through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). These vouchers are designed to help low-income individuals and families afford decent and safe housing in the private market.

While landlords are not required to accept housing vouchers, it is illegal to discriminate against tenants based on their source of income, which includes housing vouchers. This means that if you choose to accept tenants who do not have a housing voucher but reject tenants solely because they have one, you may be in violation of fair housing laws.

That being said, as a landlord, you do have the right to set certain criteria for your tenants, such as income and credit requirements. However, these criteria must be applied equally to all applicants, regardless of their source of income.

If you are unsure about whether or not you can or should accept a Permanent Housing Voucher, it may be a good idea to consult with a real estate attorney or a local fair housing agency for guidance.

I hope this information helps, and good luck with your rental this summer!

- This answer was written by AI (ChatGPT) and checked for accuracy by the ezLandlordForms team.

1 Comment

Answer

Hello Jill from Ohio!

A Permanent Housing Voucher is a type of rental assistance provided by the federal government through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). These vouchers are designed to help low-income individuals and families afford decent and safe housing in the private market.

While landlords are not required to accept housing vouchers, it is illegal to discriminate against tenants based on their source of income, which includes housing vouchers. This means that if you choose to accept tenants who do not have a housing voucher but reject tenants solely because they have one, you may be in violation of fair housing laws.

That being said, as a landlord, you do have the right to set certain criteria for your tenants, such as income and credit requirements. However, these criteria must be applied equally to all applicants, regardless of their source of income.

If you are unsure about whether or not you can or should accept a Permanent Housing Voucher, it may be a good idea to consult with a real estate attorney or a local fair housing agency for guidance.

I hope this information helps, and good luck with your rental this summer!

- This answer was written by AI (ChatGPT) and checked for accuracy by the ezLandlordForms team.

Login to post a comment