Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Tenant Screening/Advertising / "no credit history"
Hello, I ran the credit and background checks on my applicant. He has no credit history. (No criminal activity either. ) Not sure how I feel about this. He says he owns a home out of town. He owns his own business. He seems like the type of guy who likes to pay cash for everything, so I'm not terribly alarmed, but how would a homeowner have no history?
Cora A, CA on Tuesday, August 1, 2017
RE: "no credit history"
Run...don't walk.....Tell him you're reviewing all applications rec'd until Fri ( or another date).
Posted by Stan M, CA on Tuesday, August 1, 2017
Dang. I had already collected a deposit without signing the lease or giving keys (rookie move). Thankfully, I insisted on waiting for the credit/background check before going further. and I am now running credit/backgrounds on the other 3 tenants. I was only going to run his, b/c he's the family patriarch, business owner, etc. His wife insists that something is an error. I very much appreciate your straight forwardness. I was hoping for a good explanation, but there probably isn't one.
Posted by Cora A, CA on Tuesday, August 1, 2017
Plot twist. TransUnion is having a delay in processing the reports. EZLandlord tells me to wait 24 hours...
Thank you, Stan. Great info!
I am also waiting for the credit report to come through. would love to know when yours does as I am in the same boat. good luck
Posted by Melissa T, VA on Wednesday, August 2, 2017
I'll let you know. As of 7am, still nothing on my original applicant. However, the other three tenants' reports came up right away. So weird.
Posted by Cora A, CA on Wednesday, August 2, 2017
I agree RUN!! do not rent or you will most likely be sorry. You have to have credit history to buy a home!! You can check under property taxes if the home is in his name also. Not weird just a fraudulent name perhaps!
Posted by Sandy P, MN on Wednesday, August 2, 2017
There is a company called red brick analytics. (http://www.redbrickanalytics.com). That focuses on credit and background checks that have no hits.
Posted by Jeff L, IL on Monday, August 21, 2017
I now own 34 quality rental units and have no credit history. That has been such a blessing since I no longer waste time with bankers but deal directly with private lenders. I have been able to acquire property because I am able to give people a definite answer on my loan commitment within 24 hours. Try that with even the best credit history.
Posted by Julian R, FL on Monday, August 21, 2017
Documents related to this forum

Free Rental Application (Handwrite-In)

Rental History Inquiry

Employment Verification

Rental Application Approval

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Sheldon J, NC
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Liz G, CA
Author: PASunrise P, NJ
Author: Sonja S, PA
Updated: 08/20/2020
Author: Cora A, CA
Updated: 08/21/2017

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
Watch our fun video about ezLandlordForms: 'Kevin & the Lease Builder Wizard'

Feature Spotlight: State-Specific Leases

Our exclusive State Assist technology goes a long way to help ensure your lease meets your states legal requirements. The ezLandlordForms team includes expert attorneys in all 50 states who work together to stay on top of regulatory changes, helping to ensure that your forms reflect all current legal requirements.

Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771

We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions and to receive your feedback.

ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2020, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program
Version: 1.445.0