Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Tenant Screening/Advertising / Room Mate Background Check
Have a current tenant who has rented apt. for a year. Very reliable, trustworthy, timely with rent. They have advised the request to have a room mate who would split the monthly rent. I did the background check and they did not fare well! What is the best way for me to handle this situation??
Sonja S, PA on Wednesday, June 28, 2017
RE: Room Mate Background Check
If the current tenant is trustworthy you may allow the roommate. I would definitely talk to the current tenant and let them know the roommate does not qualify to rent, but you will allow it as long as rent is paid on time.
Posted by J D, CA on Wednesday, July 5, 2017
Okay, thanks for the input! We were considering that maybe the current tenant continues to pay the rent and the roommate pays the tenant their share. ~ Sonny
Posted by Sonja S, PA on Wednesday, July 5, 2017
Consider the following.....good tenant decides to move so called bad tenant wants to stay and refuses to move. I would research or talk to a lawyer what your options would be.
Posted by Stan M, CA on Thursday, July 6, 2017
Thanks for the input Stan, I thought the same thing!
Posted by Sonja S, PA on Sunday, July 9, 2017
I always consider what it is on the background check. If they got arrested for marijuana 10 years ago once when they were 18, and that was the end of it, I would not find that unacceptable. Anything recent is not ok with me. The last thing I need is someone living in my property that can't obey the law. Especially if it's any violent crimes/drugs. Not worth the risk to me.
Posted by Elizabeth M, KS on Sunday, July 9, 2017
I have a worthy possible tenant that can afford monthly rent, however, they want a relative to live with them who is 18 years old and has no credit. How do I word the lease agreement so I am renting only to the worthy applicant. If they move the relative must move. Would they just be an occupant and not on the lease at all?
Posted by Jen G, OH on Thursday, August 9, 2018
Posted by jahfwkwi j, on Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Posted by jahfwkwi j, on Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Documents related to this forum

Free Rental Application (Handwrite-In)

Rental History Inquiry

Employment Verification

Rental Application Approval

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Sheldon J, NC
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: PASunrise P, NJ
Author: Sonja S, PA
Author: Michelle & Doug K, CO
Author: Cora A, CA
Updated: 08/21/2017

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
Watch our fun video about ezLandlordForms: 'Kevin & the Lease Builder Wizard'

Feature Spotlight: What is "State Assist"?

Every state has different legal requirements for leases, and it can often be difficult for busy property managers to stay updated on the constantly changing requirements in their area. Our exclusive State Assist feature does the work for you, helping to ensure that your lease is in compliance with the laws in your state.

The ezLandlordForms legal team tracks regulatory changes such as the maximum late fees, returned check fees, whether your can charge holdover fees, attorney fees, the minimum number of days notice for entry, and much, much more to help you stay on trackand limit your legal liability.

Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771

We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions and to receive your feedback.

Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org website security ezLandlordForms, LLC BBB Business Review
ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2020, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program
Version: 1.404.0