Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Landlord and Real Estate News / Interest on Security Deposit
Do I need to put my tenant's security deposit in an interest bearing account if the building in which they preside has less than 6 units/apartments? I've read that I don't, but I'd like to be certain. Also, is there a law or code by which this is known? It would be helpful to cite to my tenants who believe they are entitled to interest back on their security deposits.
Holly S, NY on Thursday, February 16, 2012
RE: Interest on Security Deposit
Do a Google search for Landlord/Tenant laws in your state
Posted by Bob R, CA on Thursday, February 16, 2012
As per my knowledge, law does not require landlords to pay interest on security deposits. However there are some rent controlled cites in California such as los angeles (under the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance) that do require payment of interest.
Posted by Edgar J, CA on Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Massachusetts requires that security deposits need to be in a separate interest bearing account. However if you collected the last month's rent at the time of move in, that does not have to be put in an account or earn interest. You should check the laws for your state as each state is different.
Posted by Samantha P, MA on Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Posted by jahfwkwi j, on Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Posted by jahfwkwi j, on Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Documents related to this forum

Pest Control - Bed Bug Addendum

Residential Lease Agreement with eSign

Free Rental Application (Handwrite-In)

Pet Addendum

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Ralph F, CA
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Gregory T, CA
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
Watch our fun video about ezLandlordForms: 'Kevin & the Lease Builder Wizard'

Feature Spotlight: Auto-fill Documents

Eliminate all of the hassle and aggravation of using standard forms with our exclusive Auto-Fill feature. Enter your tenant's information once, and our system will insert that information automatically into each document. This feature can also auto-fill your form for multiple tenants with just a few simple clicks of the mouse.
Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771

We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions and to receive your feedback.

Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org website security ezLandlordForms, LLC BBB Business Review
ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2019, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program
Version: 1.325.0