State-Specific Legal Forms Landlords Trust
Contact Us

Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / State Landlord Tenant Law / tenant not paying water bill
Hi, the water bill is in the tenants name, but she hasn't been paying it. The house is in NJ and the water company is owned by the town. That means if the tenant doesn't pay her water bill, the town puts a lean on MY house at 18% interest until it's payed. They DO NOT go after the tenant. The water company WILL NOT turn the water off, unless I tell them to. The water company wants the responsibility of shutting the water off to be on my head. I know that I CANNOT shut her water off for non-payment of rent, it's illegal. Can I have the water shut off legally, for non-payment of water?
Robert S, NJ on Tuesday, March 22, 2011
RE: tenant not paying water bill
That's why you need to pay the water bill yourself, and bill the tenant for it. When they don't pay you back for the water, you take them to court for non-payment, just as if they hadn't paid rent.
Posted by Renee R, MD on Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Documents related to this forum

Rental Agreement (Province-Specific)

Alabama Lease Agreement

Alaska Lease Agreement

Arkansas Lease Agreement

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Brittany H, TN
Updated: 04/21/2012
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Tina S, LA
Updated: 05/05/2015
Author: Donna I, CA
Updated: 04/11/2012
Author: Shirlene S, SC
Updated: 03/24/2016
Author: Dillon C, WA
Updated: 03/29/2015

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
Watch our fun video about ez Landlord Forms: 'Kevin & the Lease Builder Wizard'

Feature Spotlight: Lease Builder Wizard

With this powerful tool, you can generate a customized, state-specific lease in minutes. Just input your state and tenant's information, and the Lease-Builder Wizard instantly creates a comprehensive lease package that includes all of the addenda, disclosures and informational documents you select to include with your lease.
Contact US - Live Assistance Avialable
Contact Us! Live Assistance Available
Call us with questions or comments
1-877-367-6771 Call us with questions or comments
Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report. website security
ez Landlord Forms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ez Landlord Forms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2016, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program