State-Specific Legal Forms Landlords Trust
Contact Us

Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Move-Out & Eviction / Non payment of utilities
I am from New Jersey. I have been reading the tenant/landlord laws. My tenant has been extremely late with the rent each month but more importantly, she is at least 3 quarters behind in paying the water bill. The water bill is actually attached as a tax lien if I don't pay it. Can I use this as grounds for eviction, or is eviction solely based upon non-payment of rent?
Julie F, NJ on Monday, January 7, 2013
RE: Non payment of utilities
If you listed in your lease that payment must be kept up to date on the water bill, and she has not done that, then she is in violation of the lease and you can serve a "perform or quit" notice to her.
Posted by Dawn A, WI on Monday, January 7, 2013
RE: Non payment of utilities
I don’t believe that the contract has to state that the utility has to be “kept up to date.” As long as your contract with tenant states that tenant is responsible for utilities, you can serve tenant with a Notice and possibly Eviction…..Also, in most cases landlord is responsible for the garbage bill, not the water bill, unless it’s a multi unit with out individual meters. Check with the city/water dept. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Posted by Bob R, CA on Monday, January 7, 2013
Documents related to this forum

Alabama 7 Day Notice for Failure to Pay Rent

Alabama 7 Day Notice To Terminate the Lease

Alabama Statement of Claim-Eviction Unlawful Detainer

Alaska 10 Day Notice to Cure or Vacate

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Shannon K, TX
Updated: 12/09/2014
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: lisa h, CA
Updated: 03/20/2016
Author: Gina K, CA
Updated: 05/06/2015
Author: Emmett J, GA
Updated: 03/03/2016
Author: Terri Farmer D, OK
Updated: 05/28/2015

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
The EZ Landlord Forms team gives advice to first-time landlords on Designing Spaces!

Buzz About ezLandlordForms

Zillow Logo  says:
"the ultimate in protection"
— Zillow Guide: Real Estate Investing
Contact US - Live Assistance Avialable
Contact Us! Live Assistance Available
Call us with questions or comments
1-877-367-6771 Call us with questions or comments
Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report. website security
ez Landlord Forms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ez Landlord Forms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2016, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program