Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Move-Out & Eviction / 30-Day Notice
Hi, I have two tenants on one lease. One of the tenants was caught in criminal activity. I am serving a 30-day notice on the one tenant. The other tenant wants to stay and I am okay with that. Since they are both named on the lease, do I need to notice both of them?
FamilyTrust J, CA on Monday, August 20, 2012
RE: 30-Day Notice
If you wish to evict both tenants, then you would serve both.
Posted by karen s, WI on Tuesday, August 21, 2012
RE: 30-Day Notice
Karen’s response is assuming and can get you in trouble. She’s assuming that tenants are on a month-to-month lease and have been renting less than 12 months…….If you have a long term lease, a 30 day Notice will not work. Depending on your contract, you may need to evict. To keep the other tenant, a new lease should be created. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Posted by Bob R, CA on Thursday, August 23, 2012
Documents related to this forum

California Notice of Belief of Abandonment

California 3 Day Notice to Perform or Quit

California 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quit

California Unlawful Detainer (Complaint)

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Beverly S, NC
Updated: 03/28/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Emmett J, GA
Updated: 03/03/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Howard P, CA
Updated: 09/06/2018
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Laura D, AZ
Updated: 06/29/2011
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Kimberly B, NC
Updated: 11/15/2012
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Feature Spotlight: Works with Window Envelopes

Your days of hand-addressing envelopes are over! All of our mailable documents are formatted to work with standard window envelopes. Just print out the documents you need, fold them so the address appears through the window, and deliver. It doesn't get any easier than that!

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program