Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Move-Out & Eviction / Rekeying Due to Refusal to Return Keys
My Idaho tenant is refusing to return the keys and garage door opener. My lease states a $25 fee will be charged for each key that is not returned and the garage door is listed under the keys identified on the "Tenants Receipt of Keys" addendum. Can I only charge the $25 for the keys not returned, or can I charge his deposit for the cost of rekeying and reprogramming the garage door and opener? Seems to me, if he refuses to give the keys back, it should be his responsibility. However, he is claiming that not giving back the keys is normal wear and tear.
Jason W, ID on Sunday, May 26, 2019
RE: Rekeying Due to Refusal to Return Keys
If it's in the lease regarding lost keys, then you can only charge the $25 whether you re-key or not. As it's listed in the lease, his claim of "normal wear and tear" does not apply. What I do (22 years as a landlord and 18 units), in the lease I state "$50 lock replacement fee upon vacating). That gives me two benefits. 1. Gets me out of the "return key" game. 2. Just because the vacating tenant returns the original sets doesn't mean they didn't have additional copies cut. Last thing I want is a new tenant family sitting down for dinner when the last tenants drunk ex-(girl/boy)friend comes walking through the door.
Posted by Matthew M, IL on Thursday, May 30, 2019
RE: Rekeying Due to Refusal to Return Keys
Replace all the locks with the qwikset smart key locks. They cost about $50 for a knob and dead bolt set. Then you just change the key each time and just get rid of the rekeying problem now and in the future. To reprogram the opener is just pushing the program button on the remote and then remote button.
Posted by Scott H, VA on Sunday, June 2, 2019
Documents related to this forum

Alabama 7 Day Notice for Failure to Pay Rent

Alabama 7 Day Notice To Terminate the Lease

Alabama Statement of Claim-Eviction Unlawful Detainer

Alaska 10 Day Notice to Cure or Vacate

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jennifer P, PA
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: , MA
Updated: 07/05/2017
Author: Terri Farmer D, OK
Author: Jeff B, CA
Updated: 08/16/2019
Author: Shannon K, TX

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
The ezLandlordForms team gives advice to first-time landlords on Designing Spaces!

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771

We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions and to receive your feedback.

Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org website security ezLandlordForms, LLC BBB Business Review
ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2019, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program
Version: 1.325.0