Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Move-Out & Eviction / Security Deposit
Hi all. This is my first time going through this. The lease expired for a tenant and he moved out. I had several issues with throughout including late payments, late security deposit and so on. When he left I had to threaten to towe his old car out of the driveway as he left it there for four days after returning his key. Anyways, the room he rented was a mess and he left tons of trash in front of the house and dog waste in the backyard. I wrote an itemized list of what he was being charged for and emailed him letting him know his security deposit will not be returned. He is now saying he wants receipts or he will take me to court. The property is in Austin TX, I live in NYC. I don’t have time to go all the way there for this and I don’t think he has any case. Am I required to show receipts for the repairs?
DY M, NY on Friday, March 15, 2019
RE: Security Deposit
It depends. You only need to show receipts to the judge but you could just .pdf the ex-tenant a copy. That would look good to the judge should it come to court. What the tenant is trying to do is claim you overcharged your labor for clean-up. So, as long as you keep your charges reasonable, let him scream. What I do? I always have the apt professionally cleaned. That way, if the ex-tenant starts crying, I send a .pdf of the bill and have them take it up with the cleaning company.
Posted by Matthew M, IL on Monday, March 25, 2019
RE: Security Deposit
20
Posted by jahfwkwi j, on Wednesday, April 3, 2019
RE: Security Deposit
20
Posted by jahfwkwi j, on Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Documents related to this forum

California Notice of Belief of Abandonment

California 3 Day Notice to Perform or Quit

California 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quit

California Unlawful Detainer (Complaint)

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Beverly S, NC
Updated: 03/28/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Emmett J, GA
Updated: 03/03/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Howard P, CA
Updated: 09/06/2018
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Laura D, AZ
Updated: 06/29/2011
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Kimberly B, NC
Updated: 11/15/2012
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program