Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Move-Out & Eviction / Recouping costs for property damage
My tenant moved out of my property and has left behind extensive damage. He also had a pet that was not disclosed on his lease (as well as 2 additional tenants). His security deposit covered one month's rent, but the damages are in the thousands of dollars. The repairs have to be completed because I am selling the house. How do I go about asking him to cover a portion of the costs? I really don't want to go to court over this unless it's absolutely necessary.
Myesha D, GA on Tuesday, August 9, 2016
RE: Recouping costs for property damage
Make sure to document all the damage, having pictures and use an inspection list. with all damages listed and prices of the damage caused. Negotiate with the tenant reasonably.
Posted by AI-Answer , PA on Friday, August 12, 2016
RE: Recouping costs for property damage
Thanks. I took pictures and provided him receipts for all of the repairs. I asked him to pay the pet deposit (since he did not originally disclose that he had a pet), pay the fix the door he damage, and cover half of the costs to repair the walls and repaint. I covered the expense of floor repairs and all other expenses, which was more than 2/3 of the costs. Unfortunately, he is being disagreeable, so I will have to take further action. Thanks for your input!
Posted by Myesha D, GA on Monday, August 15, 2016
RE: Recouping costs for property damage
I've been unsuccessful in reporting my tenant's debt to the credit bureau. Has anyone been able to do this?
Posted by Myesha D, GA on Tuesday, September 6, 2016
Documents related to this forum

California Notice of Belief of Abandonment

California 3 Day Notice to Perform or Quit

California 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quit

California Unlawful Detainer (Complaint)

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Beverly S, NC
Updated: 03/28/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Emmett J, GA
Updated: 03/03/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Howard P, CA
Updated: 09/06/2018
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Laura D, AZ
Updated: 06/29/2011
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Kimberly B, NC
Updated: 11/15/2012
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program