Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Leasing Issues / Long distance lease signing
We are leasing our home in Wisconsin and we currently live in a different state. When it comes time to sign the lease what is the correct method. Do we sign it first and send it to the tenant or do we send it without our signature, have them sign it, send it back to us and then we sign and send them a copy?
Michael P, TX on Sunday, August 26, 2012
RE: Long distance lease signing
I would have the Tenants sign first, then the Landlords. Then you would make copies for all parties.
Posted by karen s, WI on Friday, August 31, 2012
RE: Long distance lease signing
To answer your question 1st, have them sign the lease and have it notarized. Also, have them send a copy of their driver license…..I believe it’s bad business practice to select a new tenant on just an application. A one-on-one meeting is very important. You may want to consider hiring someone, such as a Real Estate Co., to find you a tenant only. They will do all the work and send (via email) you the information for your approval. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance
Posted by Bob R, CA on Monday, September 3, 2012
Return to the Leasing Issues Forum
Documents related to this forum

Residential Lease Agreement

Email-able Custom Logo Compatible State-Specific Uses the Lease Builder Wizard

Residential Lease Agreement

The residential lease agreement is the single most important form in the field of property management; try filling one out now with EZ Landlord Forms.
with State Assist guidelines
Document Features
  • Email-able
  • Custom Logo Compatible
  • State-Specific
  • Uses the Lease Builder Wizard
Tooltip Side Arrow

Lead-Based Paint Disclosure & Certification

Email-able State-Specific

Lead-Based Paint Disclosure & Certification

Was your rental property constructed prior to 1978? If so, you are required to provide tenants with an EPA-compliant Lead-Based Paint Disclosure form.
Document Features
  • Email-able
  • State-Specific
Tooltip Side Arrow

Security Deposit Receipt - Move In/Out Condition

Email-able State-Specific

Security Deposit Receipt - Move In/Out Condition

Use the Security Deposit Receipt - Move In/Move Out Condition form to document property condition and needed repairs at the beginning and end of the renter’s tenancy.
Document Features
  • Email-able
  • State-Specific
Tooltip Side Arrow

Pest Control - Bed Bug Addendum

Auto-fill Document Email-able

Pest Control - Bed Bug Addendum

The Pest Control - Bed Bug Addendum clearly lists the responsibilities of both parties, offering more information on the Tips page attached.
Document Features
  • Auto-fill Document
  • Email-able
Tooltip Side Arrow
Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Billy T, AZ
Updated: 05/21/2013
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Dan S, CT
Updated: 04/15/2012
Author: Homer C, FL
Updated: 10/02/2012
Author: Trevor R, IL
Updated: 11/11/2013

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Select Your State

Select your state to begin using our exclusive State Assist features and to see State-Specific forms:
Outside the U.S.? Click here.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords!
More Info
Watch our fun video about ez Landlord Forms: 'Kevin & the Lease Builder Wizard'

Feature Spotlight: Why do I need A Lease Package?

Those basic leases you can find in office supply stores or buy from online vendors can look appealingly cheap and easy, but chances are, they don't meet all of the legal requirements for binding leases in your state. If you entrust your rental property to a stand-alone lease, you may not be fully protected, especially if you wind up in court with your tenant over a contract dispute.

By using our exclusive Lease-Builder Wizard with State Assist, you'll get unmatched convenience, peace of mind, and protection for not much more than other sites charge for a generic lease.

Need Help? If you cannot find answers to your questions on our website, you can contact ezLandlordForms for support.
Feedback and Comments Have Comments About This Page?  Send Feedback
Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report. website security
ez Landlord Forms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ez Landlord Forms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2014, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program