Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Leasing Issues / asking for a Deposit
I have a tenant that has been with me for 13 years. When she first rented from us she did not pay any deposit (not my decision) Now I would like to ask for a deposit with the new one year Lease due to the fact that she has destroyed my concrete with plants and salt and dug up about 1/3 of the property and planted flowers. They are very nice, however it will be a mess if she uproots and leaves or passes away. Can I request a deposit after years of tenancy, or should I just take the possibly large financial hit when the Lease terminates?
Sandy P, MN on Thursday, January 2, 2020
RE: asking for a Deposit
Of course you can. You can modify anything with a new lease.
Posted by Matthew M, IL on Tuesday, January 7, 2020
You can but is it a good idea? Why possibly piss off a good tenant that has been there for 13 years and could be there for another 13?
Posted by Scott H, VA on Tuesday, February 11, 2020
I would say no. If she moves or passes. just dig up the flowers. This may cause a bad relationship.
Posted by Ethel G, MO on Monday, February 17, 2020
I wouldn't. Add up the profit you have made with this tenant over 13 years. Add up what you will gain over many more years. Sometimes its best to just weigh it out. I believe you will find you are in the plus regardless of any expense at the end of the lease. After 13 years upwards most landlords have to update to keep current. If she is content you are good to go. Had tenants for 19 years, paid rent on time, good people. When they left, place needed complete remodel. Oh well, goes with the cost of doing business. Re-rented immediately.
Posted by John K, FL on Thursday, February 20, 2020
Return to the Leasing Issues Forum
Documents related to this forum

Residential Lease Agreement with eSign

Lead-Based Paint Disclosure & Certification

Security Deposit Receipt - Move In/Out Condition

Pest Control - Bed Bug Addendum

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Wilfred C, NJ
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Michael W, CO
Author: ed t, FL
Author: Billy T, AZ
Author: K2 V, CA

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
The ezLandlordForms team gives advice to first-time landlords on Designing Spaces!

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771

We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions and to receive your feedback.

Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org website security ezLandlordForms, LLC BBB Business Review
ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2020, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program
Version: 1.380.0