Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Leasing Issues / Tenants Breaking Lease Early- but changing date of early termination
Hi, I received notice from my tenants that they were going to break the lease early (4-months early) as of 12/31/19. I sent written notice of my acceptance of them breaking lease. I have contacted the utility companies and scheduled a final reading on the water and electric for 12/31/19 and to have utilities placed back into my name. I have also contacted my contractors to make sure they will be available to make any repairs and get the place back in new condition prior to leasing to next tenants. Today, I received notice from tenants that they now plan to break the lease on 1/31/20; which is still an early termination. I sent them noticed that the scheduled move-out day is 12/31/19; and that i have already begun advertising the property and making contact with my contractors. I asked them if they are willing to continue the lease until the scheduled expiration date of 4/30/20. 1. Is what I am asking of the tenants legal? 2. Can I legally have them to abide by the 12/31/19 early termination date; and require them to pay the rent charges due for the months of 1/1/20 - 4/30/20; since I have already accepted their notice to break lease early? Thanks in advance for your response. Sylvester R
Sylvester R, MD on Wednesday, December 18, 2019
RE: Tenants Breaking Lease Early- but changing date of early termination
You don't have to accept the new move-out date of 1/31/20. The only reason I wouldn't accept the change was if I already had a new tenant signed for the apartment for the month of January. Pushing the utilities and contracting services back a month typically does not involve any extra cost. If it does, you could tell the current tenant that they would be responsible for them should you accept the new date. But, if no tenant waiting, accepting the new date gives you one more month of collected rent. As for the outstanding lease months of 02/20-04/20, if the tenant agreed to pay the shorted months from 01/20-04/20, then they should be agreeable to pay the updated dates. If not, then you'd have to take them to court.
Posted by Matthew M, IL on Monday, December 23, 2019
Return to the Leasing Issues Forum
Documents related to this forum

Residential Lease Agreement with ezSign

Lead-Based Paint Disclosure & Certification (1a)

Security Deposit Receipt - Move In/Out Condition

Pest Control - Bed Bug Addendum

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Wilfred C, NJ
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Jaspreet D, VA
Updated: 06/17/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Trevor R, IL
Updated: 11/11/2013
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Daniel P, AR
Updated: 03/22/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Charles F, CA
Updated: 10/22/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program