Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Leasing Issues / Tenant broke the lease 5 months earlier
My tenant broke the lease 5 months earlier and left the house and bought his own property. He did mention to me over the phone 2 months prior that he is planning to do so but no specific month. We both agreed for 1-month rent to break the lease and he agreed -again phone conversation to settle this considering he was a-OK person. Come Oct- he left the house and put the house keys in o 1-month rent-neither he picked up my calls - I tracked him down and he refused to oblige our phone agreement. Can I sue him for breaking the lease and go court to recover my 5 months remaining lease amount as nothing was signed between us as I had to repaint and re-carpet the whole house and I am ending up no payment for the month plus a huge bill of painting and carpeting Your thoughts ?
raj c, WA on Sunday, October 13, 2019
RE: Tenant broke the lease 5 months earlier
You definitely can sue! Just take pictures and keep the receipts of the things you had to replace. If you have any texts or emails between the2 of you that would be extremely helpful. Does your lease between you guys have a clause about breaking the lease early? Also, if you only agreed for him to pay 1 months rent to get out of the lease verbally why go after 5 months?
Posted by Tuesdae F, FL on Sunday, October 13, 2019
You have an obligation to minimize you damages by finding a new tenant. You sue for the time the property was vacant between the time he left and the time you got a new tenant and for any damages that are beyond normal wear and tear.
Posted by Scott H, VA on Monday, October 14, 2019
A tenant must follow his words about 1-month rent payment for early lease termination. If he is refusing to do so, collect all the proofs of early lease termination and file a case in the court. Also, recover 5 months of remaining lease amount or settle the issue by accepting 1-month rent. Thereafter you can use this money to be prepared for tenant turnover. Follow these efficient tips to handle tenant turnover- https://promanagement.home.blog/2019/09/11/handling-tenant-turnover/
Posted by Tommy r, NY on Thursday, October 24, 2019
Return to the Leasing Issues Forum
Documents related to this forum

Residential Lease Agreement with eSign

Lead-Based Paint Disclosure & Certification

Security Deposit Receipt - Move In/Out Condition

Pest Control - Bed Bug Addendum

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Wilfred C, NJ
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Michael W, CO
Author: ed t, FL
Author: Billy T, AZ
Author: K2 V, CA

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
Watch our fun video about ezLandlordForms: 'Kevin & the Lease Builder Wizard'

Free Landlord Resources

Did you know that we also offer an array of valuable resources FREE with your membership? After you complete the free registration process, you'll gain immediate access to everything from a selected group of rental forms to property management tips. You've got nothing to lose, and lots of insight to gain. What are you waiting for? Sign up now!
Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771

We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions and to receive your feedback.

Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org website security ezLandlordForms, LLC BBB Business Review
ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2020, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program
Version: 1.380.0