Start a new topic

lease doesn't allow sublet, but roommate wants to. What should my son do to protect himself?

My son attends a college in Los Angeles, CA. He and 3 friends rent a townhouse together. The lease doesn't allow sublet. But two of his friends, A & B, want to sublet during the summer for 3 months, since none of them will be using the house during the summer. My son and friend C do not agree to do so. If not reporting to the landlord, will my son and friend C get into trouble? Right now they are considering not letting the landlord know, but sign an "release of responsibility" agree among themselves, meaning, my son and friend C will release the responsibility of the house, and friends A & B will take full responsibility, should anything happen. Is this a wise/legal thing to do? Does this "release of responsibility" agreement have any protection for my son and friend C?  Thanks!
1 Comment

"If not reporting to the landlord, will my son and friend C get into trouble?" If the lease says "no sublet without landlord knowledge/permission" then all tenants are in violation and subject to eviction....so, if that's your definition of "trouble", then YES, absolutely.
Login to post a comment