Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Leasing Issues / tenant's business from rental
Hi my tenant wants to start a wine import business from our rental. She said it would have no storage and no traffic, just home office using the rental address, and she would get required license and business insurance. Right now the lease says "residential" only. What do I need to do? Do I need to ask our home insurance? Check local laws (California, Contra Costa County)? I plan to update the Lease under property use. Any recommendations for what conditions to list? Anything I should be worried about? Proprety tax? Income tax return? Your advice would be appreciated.
Kerima S, CA on Thursday, May 2, 2019
RE: tenant's business from rental
Get a lawyer. I had a tenant run an Ebay business out of one of my apartment. Some deal went down wrong and her customer came after me saying "As I provided the space, I was a partner and therefore eligible to be held financially accountable." I gave the summons to my lawyer and change the lease to forbid such activities.
Posted by Matthew M, IL on Monday, May 6, 2019
Return to the Leasing Issues Forum
Documents related to this forum

Residential Lease Agreement with ezSign

Lead-Based Paint Disclosure & Certification (1a)

Security Deposit Receipt - Move In/Out Condition

Pest Control - Bed Bug Addendum

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Wilfred C, NJ
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Jaspreet D, VA
Updated: 06/17/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Trevor R, IL
Updated: 11/11/2013
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Daniel P, AR
Updated: 03/22/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Charles F, CA
Updated: 10/22/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program