Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Leasing Issues / Guest - Pennsylvania
I have a tenant whose new boyfriend has been staying with her more than 4 nights a week for the past few months. I never received a notice from her. Is this a violation of her lease? Should I add him to the lease as occupant and do I need to run a credit check? Also, what if I need to remove him as a guest, what are the repercussions?
Michael & Crystal R, PA on Thursday, September 6, 2018
RE: Guest - Pennsylvania
I have a clause in my leases that state "Noone not listed on lease can visit longer than 3 days a week and no more than weeks per year without written consent from the landlord. Landlord has option to issue 60 day notice if tenant is in violation." Depending on the state, that gives you some say but it can be iffy. In WI, the only way I can prove cohabitation is if the visitor is having mail sent to the address. As it seems no such clause is in your lease, I would notify the tenant with a "It has come to my attention that...blah, blah. If you want me to add this individual to the lease, then fill out an application and I will decide. If not, then I will consider this a violation of the existing lease and consider the best action to take." Wait for an answer. Once the lease ends, start throwing the above clause into new ones. For me, the big issue is insurance. My insurance covers accident and injury to leased, named tenants.
Posted by Matthew M, IL on Thursday, September 6, 2018
RE: Guest - Pennsylvania
Thanks!
Posted by Michael & Crystal R, PA on Friday, September 7, 2018
Return to the Leasing Issues Forum
Documents related to this forum

Residential Lease Agreement with ezSign

Lead-Based Paint Disclosure & Certification (1a)

Security Deposit Receipt - Move In/Out Condition

Pest Control - Bed Bug Addendum

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Wilfred C, NJ
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Jaspreet D, VA
Updated: 06/17/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Trevor R, IL
Updated: 11/11/2013
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Daniel P, AR
Updated: 03/22/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Charles F, CA
Updated: 10/22/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Recent Customers Answer "Why ezLandlordForms?"

Great Resources for Landlords
"Awesome, comprehensive service for Lanlords."
-Daisy Davis
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Easy to use!
"This is for test."
-KarenShan
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
go digital
"would like to have the ability to email a copy to tenant."
-Gerard Gonzalez
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4
Fast and easy to use!
"Step by step guide makes sure that you don't forget anything that may pertain to your property."
-Adrian Talamantes
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
easy to use
"never have had a issue making out my lease with the directions great"
-Marcia
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5
Fantastic resource!!
"ezLandlordforms.com is a lifesaver!! I would recommend it anyone!!"
-Traci Kolheim
Star1 Star2 Star3 Star4 Star5

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program