State-Specific Legal Forms Landlords Trust

Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Leasing Issues / last months rent
I had a bit of situation, my tenant's lease ran out in July 12 15, a few weeks before that she asked me if we could go on a 6 month extension verbally, I agreed and when I took the papers for the extension over, she said she had a home she was looking at to buy and would now like to go on a month to month, I said I would do that if she agreed to give me two months notice. She said that would work. I held last months rent and security deposit in escrow. She then emailed me on july 19th to tell me this, "So, I found a house! Yeah!! I believe my rent is paid through Aug 12, and I think we paid 1st, last, and security, when we moved in last year. So, 30 days from today, is Aug 19. I am planning to be completely moved the 1st weekend in August, but want to be able to have a chance to come back in the following week, and clean. I really wanted to be settled, in a new place, before Pats celebration of life, which is Aug 17th. So, If I am completely out by Aug 12, I should get last & security back, right? It's been a challenging couple of weeks, but we finally came to an agreement with the sellers, last night. I should be closing by mid week. I really appreciate you working with me, and being so patient" One of my questions is in Florida law is email written notice? Next is this even considered notice? Its a lot of if, and maybe and if I can but not one here is my notice I am or will be moving out on xx xx She ended moving out on the 12th, and I gave her back her security deposit back, but I held her last months rent, I felt that her last months rent was her last months rent and I would be nice and try to rent it and then refund her the difference between when it was rented and her last months rent. I ended up renting it for Sept. 1st and she agreed to wait till then to settle up. Now I get an angry email saying why does she have to wait. My response to her email; Hi Christine, You are catching me on the hop. I had assumed you would give me a months notice when using the last months rent. This is what I can do, I will start to advertise the unit and that it will be available on the 12 to the 19th of August. If we can rent it out in a transition that is seamless we can settle up as the new tenants move in or shortly there after. I think the unit will have showing fast. I think maybe as soon as Friday and Saturday. I will call you and give you as much heads up as I can on showings. Her response; am sorry. It's been a process. I was hoping to have figured it out before you deposited last months rent, but I didn't. We had 2 weeks of back & forth between banks/sellers/inspections. It was a bit of a longer process than I had originally wanted. If I can get all out by Aug 12, and have the chance to clean, I am all good with you paying me after you rent. I have no doubt you will rent it fast. I should have final closing date today, but I anticipate it to be by Wed, this week. I am sorry, I tried to get it done before July 12, I just couldn't get it completed. I sent her this email in response to her text asking why she had to wait until sept 1st Christine, I paid you your security deposit even though I had two days cleaning and painting to put the unit back to the condition it was in when you took possession of it. The stove alone took me over 4 hours to clean. The bath had a lot of mold and slime that had to be cleaned and there were holes in the wall from picture hanging that I had to repair and paint. That said I had to call my attorney and ask about last months rent. You asked for an extension of your lease for 6 more months when it came to termination on 7/12/15, Then you asked to go month to month and I agreed if you would give me a couple months notice. You paid rent to 8/12/15 and I held the last months rent. You gave me notice on july 19th that you would be leaving, that would mean Sept. 19th would be your last day. I felt if I can rent the unit before Sept. 19th I would give you a
ed t, FL on Wednesday, August 19, 2015
RE: last months rent
It looks as though your post was cut off. The first lease you and Christine went into - Did it say it would end or renew month to month? If it ended that means she was living there without a lease. A tenancy at will must have at least 3 months notice to vacate. Although you did have e-mails about a renewal. I don't know if that would hold up in court. Normally when a tenant breaks the lease, they have to pay the rest of the months owed, until you find a replacement tenant. I am not exactly sure what you are asking because your post was cut off, but i wish you the best! Good Luck!
Posted by Clark F, OK on Wednesday, September 2, 2015
RE: last months rent
You need to consult with an attorney about this as I believe hold over tenants may be subject to an escalation in rent. Also notice in Florida is based on how rent is paid, so monthly requires 30 days notice, weekly 7 days notice, etc...
Posted by Deanna N, FL on Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Return to the Leasing Issues Forum
Documents related to this forum

Residential Lease Agreement with eSign

Lead-Based Paint Disclosure & Certification

Security Deposit Receipt - Move In/Out Condition

Pest Control - Bed Bug Addendum

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Wilfred C, NJ
Updated: 10/22/2015
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Michael W, CO
Updated: 03/03/2016
Author: ed t, FL
Updated: 03/21/2017
Author: Billy T, AZ
Updated: 05/21/2013
Author: K2 V, CA
Updated: 03/11/2017

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
The EZ Landlord Forms team gives advice to first-time landlords on Designing Spaces!

Buzz About ezLandlordForms

MSNBC Logo  says:
Barbara Corcoran, MSNBC
"get complete applications and leases online at ezlandlordforms.com"
— Barbara Corcoran
Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771

We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions and to receive your feedback.

Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report. website security
ez Landlord Forms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ez Landlord Forms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2018, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program
Version: 1.248.0