Start a new topic

Late fees and Rent

I was told that when a tenant has late fees added on to the rent then when the tenants pay money but not the total amount of the rent and late fees you are to put the money toward the late fees first and the rest of the money goes toward the rent. Example: The rent is $650.00 but the tenant did not pay the rent and they got a $200.00 late fee which would total $850.00 for the month. But the come and pay $650.00, I would take $200.00 out of the $650.00 to put toward the late fee and the remaining $450.00 would go toward their rent. Is this correct? Or do I put the $650.00 toward the rent and they would still owe me the $200.00 late fee, and if this is the way then how long do I have to wait to get the late fee. I was told you can not evict a tenant because of the late fees. Please help me with the law on this problem. I don't want to brake any laws. Thank you
1 Comment

Always goes towards the late fees. Always. And make sure they know this in writing. That way, you can evict for not paying rent if necessary.
Login to post a comment