Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Other / Late fees and Rent
I was told that when a tenant has late fees added on to the rent then when the tenants pay money but not the total amount of the rent and late fees you are to put the money toward the late fees first and the rest of the money goes toward the rent. Example: The rent is $650.00 but the tenant did not pay the rent and they got a $200.00 late fee which would total $850.00 for the month. But the come and pay $650.00, I would take $200.00 out of the $650.00 to put toward the late fee and the remaining $450.00 would go toward their rent. Is this correct? Or do I put the $650.00 toward the rent and they would still owe me the $200.00 late fee, and if this is the way then how long do I have to wait to get the late fee. I was told you can not evict a tenant because of the late fees. Please help me with the law on this problem. I don't want to brake any laws. Thank you
Penny G, TN on Saturday, July 11, 2020
RE: Late fees and Rent
Always goes towards the late fees. Always. And make sure they know this in writing. That way, you can evict for not paying rent if necessary.
Posted by Matthew M, IL on Monday, August 31, 2020
Return to the Other Forum
Documents related to this forum

Residential Lease Agreement with ezSign

Free Rental Application (Handwrite-In)

Garage / Storage Lease Agreement

Late Rent - Reminder

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jennifer P, PA
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Julie B, AL
Author: MelissaAndMartha O, NC
Author: Steven D, TX
Author: Cozy4 P, NC
Updated: 02/01/2016

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
The ezLandlordForms team gives advice to first-time landlords on Designing Spaces!

Buzz About ezLandlordForms

MSNBC Logo  says:
Barbara Corcoran, MSNBC
"get complete applications and leases online at ezlandlordforms.com"
— Barbara Corcoran
Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771

We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions and to receive your feedback.

ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2020, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program
Version: 1.426.0