Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Other / How much to charge for late fees?
Our Tenant has been paying us late for the apartment rent. His Lease Renewal is due soon. How much can we charge for late fees? We like this tenant but we needed the rent paid on time. Out of the years he has been renting our apartment we can count about 4 times he paid us on time other times he is always late. He does pay us the late fees, but this is not we are after for. We have bills to pay and we needed the rental money to pay the bills. Need Advice LandLord New Jersey
Marita G, NJ on Thursday, August 15, 2019
RE: How much to charge for late fees?
You can't "force" someone to pay on time, you can only punish (late fees). You can charge any amount you wish, but if he's only been late 4 times out of the "years", that's not too unusual - especially if you like him. Should you raise the fee in an attempt to stop the tardiness, he always has the option of moving out and thus leaving you with the expense of a vacant apt for one to two months. If I were you, I'd put the late fees into savings and just use them the next time the situation repeats itself.
Posted by Matthew M, IL on Monday, August 19, 2019
RE: How much to charge for late fees?
You could request that he pay through zillow.com They offer a free service - My renter pays zillow on the first of the month. Our payment to the bank for the rental is the 12th - so even if it gets there after the 5th - (which is when the payment is due by without a late fee) I know it will be in my bank before the mortgage payment is due, it usually takes around 7 days to be in my account. When he makes the payment on the 1st - they notify me that he has made it.
Posted by Gregory S, PA on Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Return to the Other Forum
Documents related to this forum

Residential Lease Agreement with eSign

Free Rental Application (Handwrite-In)

Garage / Storage Lease Agreement

Late Rent - Reminder

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Jennifer P, PA
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Julie B, AL
Author: Cozy4 P, NC
Updated: 02/01/2016
Author: MelissaAndMartha O, NC
Author: Steven D, TX

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!

Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info
The ezLandlordForms team gives advice to first-time landlords on Designing Spaces!

Buzz About ezLandlordForms

ActiveRain Logo  says:
"very robust and user friendly"
— Brad Andsersohn, Community Builder
Fox Business Logo CBS Radio Logo msnbc Logo The Wall Street Journal - WSJ - Logo CNN Money Logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771

We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions and to receive your feedback.

Carbon Free - CarbonFund.org website security ezLandlordForms, LLC BBB Business Review
ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.
ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Copyright © 2006-2019, ezLandlordForms LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program
Version: 1.325.0