Start a new topic

Breaking a lease for new military recruit

Tenant is in a six month lease. Decides to enlist in the military 3 months into the lease. Needs to go to 8 week basic training in months 5 & 6. 1st option is to know should she be charged for time (8 weeks) away.  2nd option: break lease 2 months early to move out to go to basic training, and what if any, would be the Landlord's monetary compensation for new recruit to break lease early?  I think one month rent (to cover vacancy time) out of the two remaining months on lease is fair to ask in order to break the lease. Any feedback, legal concerns? This is California. Thank you.

Members of the military are only exempt from established leases IF they are mobilized (called-up to active duty). As the tenant in question has not been (assuming she is expected to return after basic training), then she is expected to cover the months away for training. Additionally, as a veterans myself, you may want to ask her how long she will be away for AIT (Advanced Individual Training) after basic. I agree with your judgement regarding one months rent.
Login to post a comment