Start a new topic

Insurance company not covering rental income loss

I am a landlord of a rental property in Pennsylvania.  My tenants lease ended on July 31, 2018.  Within two weeks after they left, I hired a contractor to paint and carpet in preparation for advertising and re-rental.  On August 17, 2018 there was vandalism done to my home, resulting in $60k damage.  I had a landlord's policy with Erie at the time.  They covered the damage, but did not provide rental loss protection, saying that there was no tenant in the dwelling at the time of the incident.  But the policy does not explicitly state that rental income loss protection only applies when the home is occupied by tenants.  The policy does say that rental loss protection applies during "normal business operations".  I contended that it is very normal business operations for a landlord to paint and carpet between tenants, which shows that I was actively readying the property for re-rental, and so I should receive rental income protection.  They denied my appeal to them and did not cover me on this.  Then I filed an appeal with the PA Insurance Commission.  They contacted Erie, who denied the appeal and then terminated my policy.  While repairs are being made due to the damage, I have gone without rental income since 8/1/2018.  The earliest I can rent it again is 2/1/2019.  Fair rental value according to Zillow is $1525 / month.  Is this worth pursuing legally?

You'll need a judge to determine Mr. L.
Login to post a comment