Start a new topic

Tenant has a large Aquarium

Tenant just moved in and didn't tell me he brought a large fish aquarium with fish. But I have periodic inspections of my apartments and my Caretaker notified me of this.  I always have my tenants sign a wavier if they choose not to get rental insurance. This is a Arizona rental unit.   But maybe in this case I should?   Or Is this considered a pet?   If so what kind of a  deposit should I charge?  mj

You can restrict or charge for aquariums based upon their capacities. (i.e., 20 gal, 30 gal) etc.
Could be a huge problem. Water damage as a result could cost thousands. Your insurer as a result may not cover any damage resulting from this. Having just found this you could look at your hazard policy as it relates to water damage coverage. I would probably insist on some sort of policy, a rider, to insure against potential damage from water. Any deposit you could think of would not cover damages related to a mishap from a large aquarium. Gallons of water can result in gallons of problems.
We just had a tenant who had a 200 gallon aquarium..which had a leak and caused almost $2,000 in damage to a wood floor.
Login to post a comment