Start a new topic

please needed help

Can I change lock's on the doors of my rental if rented and given the tenants a key as well?

depends on your states' specific laws, but you can if it's an emergency, and you notify the tenant and supply the tenants a new set of keys. you cannot do it arbitrarily. If you are the tenant, you can, again, in an emergency, if you notify the landlord, and supply him with a set of keys and an explanation.  But, I would recommend you first ask the landlord, and give them a few days to do it themselves, and supply you with the new set of keys. AGAIN, if it's an emergency situation, consult with local law enforcement and/or an attorney; make sure you know what you are allowed to do in your state whether you are the tenant or the landlord.
I am the owner of the rental, we'll myself and my 2 brother's. One of the brothers has been in control of the property as well as rent and choosing the tenants. My older brother and I stepped in when our younger brother landed himself in jail for the 2nd time. As you can imagine everything is a big mess. I have sent and hand delivered notice of new landlord along with introduction, and a 3 day notice to pay or quit and notice to enter. I have not been able to get permission nor access to enter the rental.  I have no ideal at all of the condition inside or the amount of people inside. This is our childhood home. My brother that is in jail has no part in this home any longer giving his lack of responsibility. I am going to move into the rental and restore it. I just don't know what to do.  Please help. This is why I asked about changing the lock's. I'm in California. How do I proceed in this matter ?
Hi, In a case like this I suggest you hire yourself and eviction attorney, and always like to take the path of least resistance.  As the owner to take possession  you could have a lawyer do cash for keys? This seems to motivate them not to trash the place if it is not trashed already? In your state it may require a rental Lic, to evic by way of the court. Is there a current lease in place? The last thing you want to do is get emotional about it. You will get it back and depending on how you play it, will have some effect on the attitude of the tenants. Lastly as a wise man said "it may cost you money but letting out stress you out is a choice" easier said then done..............Good luck
Login to post a comment