Landlord Question and Answer Forum

Forum / Other / forfeited security deposit , tenants suing (Ohio)
I recently had tenants move out and I sent them a letter notifying them that they had forfeited their security deposit ($1100) due to damage of property that I felt was not normal wear and tear. They have replied back with a request of payment for $2500 or they will sue me in court. I know that Ohio law requires you to notify them or return deposit back within 30 days. If not you are liable for twice amount of the original deposit.But if I gave them notice within the required time period along with pictures and cost.I thought that only applied if I maliciously kept their deposit. What are the chances that an Ohio judge sides with them and I stuck paying a greater amount?Should I let this play out in court?
julio , CA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015
RE: forfeited security deposit , tenants suing (Ohio)
If you sent them the proper photos, and deductions along with the proper notice you will be fine. You do want to make sure this is all repairs beyond the normal. Simple disregard for the unit usually causes issues that do fall beyond normal wear and tear. Having a lawyer ready for court may be good though, cover yourself and you will not loose. Gather all evidence and paper trail of communication.
Posted by Richard W, PA on Monday, July 27, 2015
Return to the Other Forum
Documents related to this forum

Residential Lease Agreement with ezSign

Free Rental Application (Handwrite-In)

Garage / Storage Lease Agreement

Late Rent - Reminder

Highest Rated Discussions
Author: Sheri B, MA
Updated: 05/24/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: margarita k,
Updated: 02/19/2021
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Thomas M. K, NC
Updated: 02/02/2016
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: MelissaAndMartha O, NC
Updated: 04/03/2019
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4
Author: Johni M, FL
Updated: 01/21/2013
Rating: Star0Star1Star2Star3Star4

The forum is completely free to anyone! If you wish to post a message, you must log in. If you are not registered already, Join today to create a free account!
Any comments and opinions that are expressed by the users of this forum are solely those of the authors, and have not been reviewed or approved by ezLandlordForms.

Satisfaction
Guaranteed

Money Back Guaranteed
Trusted by Over
300,000 Property
Managers, Realtors,
Attorneys, and Landlords
since 2006!
More Info

Free Landlord Resources

Did you know that we also offer an array of valuable resources FREE with your membership? After you complete the free registration process, you'll gain immediate access to everything from a selected group of rental forms to property management tips. You've got nothing to lose, and lots of insight to gain. What are you waiting for? Sign up now!

FEATURED ON

fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Copyright © 2006-2026, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. View our Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, and Affiliate Program