California 60 Day Notice to Vacate - At-Fault Just Cause

4.3 Stars

The California 60 Day Notice to Vacate At-Fault Just Cause ends a periodic tenancy that is for more than one year and not a rent-controlled jurisdiction.

Document Last Modified: 10/25/2022

Document Features


Auto-Fill Document


Related Documents

California has specific procedures and laws in place for ending a month to month lease. There are two different forms. One is for those tenancies that are in place for under one year in duration and would require a 30-day notice and this "60 Day Notice to Vacate" is used for those that have remained, in effect, for longer than one year.

IMPORTANT: The landlord must understand that if a tenant is in possession of the rented premises for even one day beyond a year, a 60-day notice is required.

Once the landlord is ready to take back possession of the premises, and the tenant has lived there for more than 365 days (one year), proper written notification of 60 days is needed. There is no reason needed! With that being said, a landlord may not be completely unreasonable in ending a lease. To those tenants who are living in any governmental subsidized housing such as Section 8, this form is not adequate. Under those circumstances, the tenant must be given a valid reason. There are several states that have rent-controlled localities and California is one of them. Often these types of areas contain their own specific regulations. It is wise to consult with your local city or town’s housing office if your rental property is situated within the parameters of a rent-controlled locality.

This form is easy to use. Click on “CREATE” and afterward choose your rental property from the list and after that fill in your contact phone number where prompted. Once you are done, you can download your form, which is assembled with all the necessary information. To properly serve your written notice, it can be either:

  • Given to the tenant personally.
  • If a tenant is not available, the notice may be given to someone in the household that is at least 18 years old. This needs to be followed up with a mailed copy.
  • The notice may be posted upon the door or somewhere nearby the rental unit and this also needs to be followed with a mailed copy.

If the tenancy you want to end is for a duration less than one year, then a California 30 Day Notice will be used.

It is wise to consult with an attorney before embarking on evictions, especially those with unusual circumstances.

Why ezLandlordForms?

#1 Rated Lease Agreement

9.3 TrustPilot Rating, with 3,384 Reviews

Flexible Billing

Choose one-time or subscription billing

State Assist

So you know you're complying with state laws

Full Support

Phone, live chat, or email... try us now!

Unlimited Access

Edit & print any of our forms with pro access

Satisfaction Guarantee

Trusted by over 2.3 million landlords & property managers


fox-business-logo CBS-Radio-logo MSNBC-logo CNN-Money-logo Wall-Street-Journal-logo
Call us: 1-877-367-6771
We are available 7 days a week to answer your
questions and to receive your feedback

ezLandlordForms products and services are reviewed and approved by attorneys, accountants, fellow landlords, or industry experts.

ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our products and services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.

Copyright © 2006-2023, ezLandlord, Inc. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | ezLandlordForms Affiliate Program

Version: 1.1562.0